starting Preparation for CBEST

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by hmaharana, Jun 5, 2006.

1. hmaharana

hmaharana Rookie

Jun 5, 2006

Hello,

I wish to take CBEST-- AUG 2006. I'm looking forward to tips to clear the exam in one go. Please suggest how should I start preparation.

Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2006

Download the practice test from the CBEST Web site and give it a shot to help you see where in basic math and reading comprehension you need to brush up. And re-acquaint yourself with the care and feeding of the five-paragraph essay.

If you're not a good test taker, start by working on your test-taking attitude, then do as outlined above.

There are plenty of books designed for CBEST. If you want one, check them all out first to find the one that works for you; it makes sense to look for one with a copyright date after 2002, because that's when the CBEST last underwent a major revision.

Prowl the threads on this subforum for further suggestions. And feel free to post more specific questions.

4. hmaharana

hmaharana Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

preparation for Cbest

Hello,

I am concerned about how to prepare for writing section of Cbest exam. Apart from practice tests, which books should I read so as to clear this section?

Any tips to clear the exam are welcome.

Please guide me.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2006

Any decent guide to writing structured essays will do. I like Barnes & Noble's SparkChart (laminated study guide) on The New SAT: Writing, but if you want more explanation and some scope for practice, you might prefer LearningExpress's Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day or Writing Skills Success.... There are some considerations based on the structure of the test itself that none of these publications takes into account.

You must write two essays. As a rule, one of them is a persuasive essay and the other a personal narrative. For the persuasive essay, the question or prompt gives an issue and the test taker must take one side or the other and argue for it. It doesn't much matter which side the test taker argues, really, as long as the essay is reasonably well written and argued. For the personal narrative, typically the prompt is much more open-ended; in some cases it works to structure it as one would a persuasive essay, with point-by-point evidence that simply happens to come from the test taker's own experience, but in others it works better to tell a story that makes a point. In either case, it's important to use vivid, concrete language.

Scorers do not expect a totally perfect essay, but they do expect to see adequate performance on the six standards mentioned in the test preparation materials on the Web site.

The best way to prepare is probably to write and to find someone to evaluate your writing.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2006

Judging from your handle, you may be Indian. If you learned English in India, you may want to spend some time preparing for the reading section. Apparently, at least in some schools in India, English is not taught the same way as here. Some other folks from India have reported having problems with the reading section even though they consider themselves fluent in English. There is at least one thread in this forum about the issue.

7. maths teach

maths teach Rookie

Jun 10, 2006

not to worry hmaharana,
    cbest is not a difficult test which needs months of preparation.
    for maths and reading just practice and practice,cliffs, princeton, learning express.
    for writing, it needs good grammar and writing skills.
    if you need additional information on the topic or if nothing strikes you while writing you can search google on the particular topic and you will find tons of information. and you can develop you issue topic from there.
    hope it helps.
    good luck.