Starting off on the right foot...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Dr Kevlar, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

I will be student teaching this fall. One session in sped, one in elementary ed. My uni does the placement and so this is a new school district for me. I have done extensive time as a volunteer/sub in another district.

Here is my question: I was given the names/emails of the teachers I will be with. I have sent a brief introduction email to each. I have not heard anything back yet (it has just been a few days and it IS summer vacation time!). I would really like to meet them both prior to the official start day, which is the day before students arrive, in order to find out about their rooms/philosophy of life/etc.

Has anyone any advice to offer for facilitating this? Am I just too doggone happy about student teaching and I need to back off? What worked for all of you (or didn't) when you were at this point?

Thanks!

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

I would say not to worry about meeting your ct until a week or so before school starts.

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

One of my CTs never read my email and had no idea he would have a student teacher until I walked into the classroom! Communication was NOT an important part of the school environment apparently...

If you are not able to meet with them before school starts, you will primarly be observing for at least the first week. Hopefully your teacher will use planning or before/after school to discuss any issues in the classroom. Sometimes the teachers are busy with professional development right before classes start and are unable to meet with their student teachers before school starts.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

There's really not much you can do but wait for a response. Hopefully they'll contact you and allow you to attend some or all of the professional development sessions they'll go to before classes start!

If they don't contact you before then, find out when the teachers DO report back and try to email or call them again at that point.

6. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Jul 19, 2012

Brief update: I did go to the school to drop off my clearances and proof that I don't have TB. This did give me the opportunity to meet the principal and ass't principal. They seemed very engaged in what was happening at all levels of the school, so that left a good impression with me and I hope that I left a good impression with them!

I am really looking forward to the experience...

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

There's nothing in the world like teaching!!

Each day, each period, is totally unlike the others. (That can be very very good, or occasionally very very bad :) )

We have the unique opportunity to interact with some pretty amazing kids, and to be part of their lives.

I can't imagine any other career I would find nearly so fulfilling!

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2012

A lot of teachers don't check their email in the summers. Do you have someone you can call?

9. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

I was out of town when I received my placement in May, so I didn't get a chance to meet my teacher until school was over. I sent an Email introducing myself and didn't here back from her until a week later. It's summer vacation and many teachers don't check their Emails until they go back for training. Don't stress I'm sure they'll both be impressed by your initiative. Mine was or at least she said she was. lol Good Luck!

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

Many teachers at my school don't check their work email regularly during the summer. I made the mistake of syncing it on my phone, so I get nonstop! I'm sure they will respond to you as soon as they get your message, but that might not be until close before school starts. That's good that you already met with the principal and assistant principal, though.

11. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

Thought I would provide an update - have been busy knocking off 9 credits worth of pre-reqs this summer but the decks are finally clear...

Both of my CT's responded to the email I sent each of them and while I was not able to meet with the CT for my initial placement, we did get a chance to talk on the phone. I at least feel like we won't be total strangers when I walk in there next week for Day One.

Might have to make sure to bring donuts/bagels/both to "introduce" myself to the rest of the staff...

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

That will be greatly appreciated!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Nice idea about the bagels and donuts!:thumb:

I emailed about 15 colleagues yesterday about a welcome luncheon for new hires...we invite the grade level/ special area teachers from the areas in which the newbies will be working. I'll be lucky if I hear from half...it's the last few weeks of summer...teachers are sneaking in last minute day trips, dr appts, etc..

Glad you got some response, DrK...enjoy your ST experience!:thumb: