Starting new job, any advice for first 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by scarlet_begonia, Aug 11, 2009.

1. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Here's my story in a nutshell:

I've been teaching preschool for 13 or so years, but always in a center, so my children have never been the youngest in the building; there's always been a younger group. This means I know at least half and usually three-quarters of my kids before they come to my room.

I am starting in a public school pre-K this year (yay!) and won't know the children. Also, the district follows a mixture of bank street and creative curriculum, so we are told to have pretty much empty rooms and introduce one center at a time for the first month of school. I've always been able to introduce centers very quickly because the kids were familiar with me and the school already!

So, I could use some advice on what to do with the kids!!! I have to have centers the majority of the day (over 3 hours of a 6.75 hour day) and I'm at a loss on what to do with them for the first couple weeks, when we don't really HAVE any centers open. I've been working on a lot of manip and toy-type things and already have a plan on how to encourage them to clean up.

Any other ideas????:confused::thanks:

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Establish your rules and practice them!
    The perfect thingy with RULES is have the same amount as the number of their ages. Anything more is TOO MUCH INFO.
    The ones that my students and I came up with, since I am officially now the HEAD TEACHER for the younger PRE-Ks! (YEA! I get to do whatever I WANT, as long as it falls into the PLAN!)
    1. Listen carefully and follow directions.
    2. Treat others and school property nicely and with respect.
    3. Keep your hands, feet, and teeth to yourself.
    4. Use kind words like Please, Thank you, You're welcome, and May I.
    Rebel1

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I have to agree, the first two weeks are still model model model, and set the foundation. The first weeks are hard for me, because I love to have fun in my room ... BUT I can't have as much fun as I want because I have to have that smooth foundation layed in tact before I can ease up. I am sure you get that. Alot of "team building" and friendship making should also be a main priority.