Starting mid-year...help!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissaG, Dec 2, 2005.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Dec 2, 2005

First, I am new here. I didn't introduce myself so I thought I would sort of do it in this post.

I am graduating next Saturday, start my job as a 5th grade teacher on Monday. There will be no sub between myself and the teacher that is leaving.

I want the transition to be as smooth as possible, as some of the kids are having a hard time with the teacher leaving. I plan to have a class meeting of sorts first thing to discuss my expectations and theirs, but I do not want to introduce too many things on the first day, I kind of thought that adding a little of my own and taking out the old teacher's a little at a time would be the best way to go.

Are there any good activities I could do to help the kids get more acquainted with me since they already know each other?

Any other advice for taking over mid-year?

3. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Dec 3, 2005

Gosh, I'd like to know the same things and hopefully someone who has been hired mid-year will give you and I both tips! Good luck to you on your new job. I have an interview on Monday and I'm hoping I will be starting mid-year as well.

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Dec 3, 2005

I know you probably have a busy week but get in that classroom every day next week if you can. Start with fun activities, but be very firm. You can ease up later.

I'm covering my third maternity leave right now and have done 2 other long term replacement assignments. My advice is to start afresh next year. For this year keep a lot of the old teacher's ways. Things are going to be VERY different even if you do stuff exactly the way the old teacher did. Change is really hard on kids who need the structure, consistancy, and routines that school provides. It is surprising how many kids do not have that consistency at home and are craving it at school. They freak out about the littlest changes ("our teacher always gives us stickers", "no she doesn't let kids pass those out..."). I would gradually phase out the things you absolutely do not agree with (not best practice, cruel, etc.) but for the most part keep the teacher's routines this year.

5. Ali

Ali Companion

Dec 3, 2005

If you are taking over forever, I don't see any problem with changing things gradually to the way you do them. I teach fifth grade and I do not see these kids obsessing over getting stickers or things like that! I think they will be excited to get started with you and will make the transition very well. I started mid-year once in third grade. It was a sudden leave for the original teacher, so I had no idea how she did things. I went in there and just did what felt right and the kiddos did fine and we had a great year. I'm afraid that if you try to be too much like the previous teacher and it's just not "you" none of you will have a good year. I even implemented a whole new discipline policy that year in 3rd and it went really well. I say you have a few conversations with the students to see what's going on in their class right now that they really like and try to keep those aspects, other than that make it yours!;)

6. Hermione

Hermione Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

Mid year Rookie. Please help.

Hey. I am a soon to be Rookie teacher. I am taking over for a retiring teacher mid year as well - this Jan.

All of the seasoned teachers I spoke to suggest starting with a clean slate. "Their old teacher has left, and you will be different no matter how hard you try to be like the old teacher. Just be consistent in your own style from the beginning," is the advice I have received.

I do have a question about my first day of class. Most of my kids are in 10th grade. Periods 1 and 2 are Co-Teach because many of the kids have special needs (2 or 3 ESOL, many tiep's, and such). However, because there are two teachers in the room the administration decided to increase the roster to 40 kids per class!!

On the first day I am planning to do a Name Game of some sorts to learn them all. I have shadowed the class and discovered that even the students don't all know each other's names so this kind of activity would be ideal.

I am planning on starting with a student at one corner of the room, repeating her name 5 - 7 times with eyecontact, then repeat this with the second student. Before the third student I will return to the first student, say her name again (showing that I remember it), then the second student and say his name again, then go to the third student and repeat his name 5-7 times, and so on.

However, I am concerned about behavioral problems during the exercise. The classes are large, especially with so many special needs kids. How can I keep all of their attention when I am focusing on a single student at a time??:confused:

I am thrilled to have found this site and am looking forward to sharing my experiences this year with the other mid year rookies, full year rookies, and the seasoned pros .

Thank You So Much!

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Dec 6, 2005

Well I was hired two weeks ago, and I started right away. At my school, they had to add some classrooms, so the regular teacher who taught half time, took over one of her classrooms full time. I think the kids are doing well with the transition. My problem compared to others, is that I have to share the room with the old teacher. We don't have our own rooms, but anyway. She has it in the morning, and I have it in the afternoon. I really couldn't change much around in the room, because she still uses it.

I slowly changed things, but I also did some drastic changes right away. I made a new bulletin board for calendar time and added things to that part of class. The kids know that the big area is for the other kids, and the small one is for us.

When I was student teaching, I changed a lot of the class. I just did it over time. The kids don't seem to notice that much, if you drop one thing over a period of time. I would stop singing some of the songs, and after a while they didn't even notice.

Also be firm with the kids, and explain that you aren't the same person, and that you will do things differently. It is ok, because this classroom is yours. They should be really kind and eager to you.

I would do some simple ice breakers with the kids, so you get to know them and they get to know you. Spend a couple mins everyday doing that. Make sure to participate with the kids also.

I hope some of this helped. I just kept babaling on. Sorry! :)