Starting mid-semester

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MissApple, Oct 17, 2011.

1. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Oct 17, 2011

I've just been hired as a 10th grade teacher, teaching three periods of Reading, one of Language Arts and one Pull-Out Support. I'm set the start on the first day of the second nine weeks.

This will be my first time teaching, but I've worked as a para at the school for two years and know some of the students I'll be teaching.

Do you have any advice on how to start off the nine weeks? I know most teachers start the year with getting to know you/get to know the teacher activities etc, but I don't know if it would be odd to do that for the start of the nine weeks?

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 17, 2011

I would say Number 1 thing to do is get your curriculum in order (organize, organize, organize). I think you'll get the bangest for your buck if you do this NOW.

The more experienced folks can fill in the other blanks.

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Oct 18, 2011

I will just share my two cents'. If you have not been teaching these students this year, then they know that just like you do. Jumping into teaching as if it is your second 9 weeks with them will not make it feel like their second 9 weeks with you. The purpose of many get-to-know-you type activities is to build relational capacity with your students, and that is of HUGE importance.

5. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Oct 19, 2011

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'll treat the first week as if it were the first week of school since for our class as a unit, it is. The hard this is we have an FCAT writes due on the 31st so they warned me not to "waste" too much instructional time. I know establishing a raport with my kids is hugely important so I'll try to do both that and work on their writing skills at the same time perhaps by integrating activites.

6. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Oct 19, 2011

I really don't think you'll be wasting your time. Your plan of combining writing and teambuilding type stuff sounds like a good one to me.

7. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Oct 22, 2011

I started mid OCtober last year and it was my first year teaching as well. It was third grade, but I think the basics still apply. I agree with OneBerry. Take the time to set up your expectations and procedures that first week, otherwise you will be chasing yourself and them all year long. I was so worried about them falling behind that i jumped into the curriculum without setting up my framework to the fullest extent. Trust me, I regretted it until the last day of school