Starting Long Term Assignment

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by BuLadybug, Feb 27, 2006.

1. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Feb 27, 2006

Hello everyone! I always check this site to get advice but this is my first time posting. I am starting a long term assignment in 1st grade at the end of March. I have been a day to day sub in this district for a year and I know that there are going to be openings next year. I really want to do a good job so that I can be considered for a full time job next year. Does anyone have any suggestions (about anything) for someone who is starting a long term postion. I will be in the classroom from the end of March-end of the school year. I am confident that I am a great teacher but there is always room for improvement/suggestions!! Is there anything you have used or found to work well in the classroom or even things you have found that have not worked and I should avoid - any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!! :)

3. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

I would guess it the best advice would be to talk to the teachers around you.

I too am starting a long term job - but for reading. The pay isn't as good and it is not close but I am excited to be able to apply some of the things I have learned studying.

Good luck with your new job. :)

4. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

thanks NELNaples

Thanks for wishing me good luck. I have actually been in the classroom that I will be doing my long term in a few times as a day-to-day sub so it's nice at least that the kids know me. I did my student teaching in first grade as well ,so I am sure I will be ok, but I guess the nerves are just starting to set in. I plan on observing the teacher for a few days before I start and she told me to stop in anytime I have a break to watch. I am just nervous because now I will be responsible for EVERYTHING but then again I am totally ready for that challenge and the chance to prove myself........

good luck in your long term position in reading!! :)

5. Georgia Peach71

Georgia Peach71 Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

I did long term subbing in one class acouple of years ago. Since it was an EBD class, there was a parapro who had been there for years, and she didn't tell me what to do, but was able to guide me in the procedures the teacher used. I really didn't want to change the routine too much for these kids, since they didn't react well to change.
    I agree with the previous poster, the other teachers were a great help and more than willing to help out(the whole school was EBD).
    You will learn A LOT. I think I learned more during this experience than I did in years in school. It definitly prepared me for my own classroom. Good luck!