starting from scratch and need a little advice!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by akahn, Jul 16, 2012.

1. akahn

akahn Rookie

Jul 16, 2012

Hi All!

After 5 years teaching 6th grade special education as a resource and inclusion teacher, I am changing positions come September. I will be starting a new self-contained program for children with language learning disabilities in grades 6 through 8. I am very excited and even more nervous because I really want to do a good job! Since the program has not existed in our school in the past, I am creating it from nothing and I don't know where to begin! I will be teaching math, science, social studies, language arts, and a class called transition each day. I have ordered textbooks for science and social studies and a reading program. I am still searching for a good math program for my class, but have a few in mind. My biggest concern is mapping out the curriculum for each subject for the year. I have no idea where to start and how to stay organized throughout all of this. I want to use my summer to get a lot of work done, but every time I sit down to begin, I just do know where to start! It is all very overwhelming!

I am looking for some advice or tips on how to get started or what might be an efficient way to develop the curriculum for each subject.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Ari

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I would start by looking at the common core standards for 4-8th grade. Find where they are similar and how they are different. For many of your students, they may be working 2-3 grade levels below.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I taught many language impaired kids in middle and high school in my last five years.

I don't pick my math program, but I did notice Envision math from Prentice Hall has a special program that runs along side it that just does math language! It's for ESL kids but I noticed ESL materials work great with my language-impaired kids.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZu6a

Are they diploma-bound? You might also want to look in to Touch Math for basic skills.