Starting back after holiday

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by becky, Jan 1, 2007.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2007

When everyone returns, do you start back in full swing or plan easy things at first?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

This year I have phone in Jury Duty starting Wednesday, my first day back.

So my answer basically depends on them. If I'm in school, it's full steam ahead. This is the best time of year to really get through material. It's a full 6 weeks of school with only one holiday (unless we see a drastic change in the weather and some snow days :) )

If I'm on Jury Duty however, it's a different story.

4. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Jan 1, 2007

I also go back on Wed. So, I am doing some review of what I taught the last 2 weeks before break. I'm moving ahead in Social Studies because it's a new unit. Just doing some pretesting & accessing prior knowledge kind of stuff. In reading, I am moving into a new story. Writing is the ol' write about what you did over break but we talk about focus...how you don't want to write about all that you did but 1 specific activity. Those who didn't do anything they feel worthy writing about, they make it up.

Before break, I made an ABC book in Reading. I had the kids go back through teh Basal & we did some brainstorming of other things...& they each got a letter to illustrate & write about. For example, A was for Amelia & Eleanor. It is a story we read a few months back.

I think I may do this ABC book in math too. The ABC activity is good to do when you get back. GEts them thinking again.

5. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jan 1, 2007

What grade level did you do the ABC book with? How did you implement it? I would like more info about this. PM me if you don't think posting here would be appropriate. :thanks:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

I'm back in full swing tomorrow.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2007

I'm going full speed ahead as of tomorrow! Christmas break was enough relaxation and I want them to be sharp as tacks by early spring.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 1, 2007

I'm glad we're starting back on Wednesday. I plan a nice, calm 3-day week. No spelling test, no vocab test.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

Hey Becky- remember the discussion before the holidays about someone saying teachers are not really teaching in December, blah, blah, blah??? :eek: I think the consensus there was that teachers ARE teaching in December!! (ditto for January, February, March...):p So yeah, I'm off and running tomorrow. Plans are written, new units are starting!! I would definitely love a few more days off, but if we must go back we will go back in full swing!!:D (we did miss our spelling workshop which is on Mondays so we'll do some word study this week, no spelling test, but all else is back on track.....)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

Good point. To be honest, I reallly cannot think of a time when I'm not going "full steam ahead."

Oh, wait, there is one every now and then: I'm in a Catholic High School, so for snow days we're at the mercy of the local districts. If enough of them close, we close too, since our kids won't have bus service. If the major ones (the ones that supply us with most of our kids) are open, we are too.

The problem is with those days when there's no clear concensus. Some are open, some are closed, and we have classes half full of kids. On those days, I take it easy.

It happens about once a decade. Other than that, a kid who has missed my class has a lot to make up.

11. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Jan 1, 2007

I go full steam ahead, unless there are special circumstances. For example, the week before the last week of school in December, my class had the flu. There were a couple afternoons when I had slow afternoons, because half the class was out. In January, I plan to get into gear especially quickly, because we did lose a lot of time because of illness.

12. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Jan 1, 2007

LakeSophie,

I teach 4th grade. I think you could do this with any grade. How independent you make it depends on what level you teach.

This is how I do my ABC book in December & then I do it again in May (to review 2nd semester).

1. Each student lists the alphabet A-Z on paper (or whiteboard). As a class we brainstorm what we learned in the particular subject. We find something we learned that starts with A, another thing we learned that starts with B, etc. Everyone copies this down on their paper. Now, some years I have them do this brainstorm in pairs/groups then they share with me & I write some of the important ones on the board/chart paper for later copying. This year, I assigned each kid a letter & had them find something we learned about starting with their letter.

2. Once the brainstorm is done, I can then assign the kids letters. (usually 1 letter per kid or I'll double up kids on a letter (u, x, w, y z, usually don't have many so I may have 2 kids each do s or t or something)

3. They get a piece of copy paper & they write their letter really big in the corner, then write a paragraph describing what we learned that starts with that letter. Then they draw a picture.

4. Bind all the pages togetehr in order & you have yourself a review of 1st semester (or 2nd) of 4th grade. Now, next year my 4th graders will be able to read about what they will learn in 4th grade. Great to have out at open house. :)

I hope this made sense! :)

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 3, 2007

It is hard to get up that first day back! But I am excited about jan., Feb., and March - full steam ahead with barely time to take a breath. I try to have my plans jam packed. I get ideas from other teachers here and visit other sites to get ideas.

The first day back we did some social activities because everyone had so much to share. Today, we started learning to put words in ABC order, started working on beginning, middle, and end - my most successful time teaching that by the way - yeah! We also started learning math games - checkers yesterday, Trouble today. I love this time of year! They are trained in our routines and my expectations, they have matured, they are ready to be challenged. Fun.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 3, 2007

I must add, I have to push myself every day. I plan my schedule and force myself to stick to the plan - no spontaneous let's do this or that.:eek: I get some of my best ideas on the spot, but I work hard to discipline myself to save it for the next day and stick to my plan.