Starting after the first day

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by HottyToddy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. HottyToddy

HottyToddy Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

Hi everyone!

I went today and signed my paperwork- I'll be teaching Algebra I and Algebra II. My first day is Monday. I'm so excited!!!

I'm nervous too, because the students started on August 7th, so I'll be going in after a week and a half of school. I am going with an alternative certification with no education background, so all I have to work off is what I can find online and the advice I get from friends and family that teach.

We have long blocks- 85 minutes. I figure I can kind of roll with it the first few days, but from what I understand, the best way to manage a class is to keep students busy.

I had planned on meeting them at the door with a copy of a syllabus and a student questionnaire. Basic stuff: name, seat #, favorite subject, why they think it's important to learn math. I was going to let them choose their seats and then make those seats assigned. After doing that, I was going to go over the syllabus briefly and then get started on a little pretest type thing. Something to help me understand where they are with their math skills. A lot of the schools in the area just pass kids so they aren't held back and the middle schools feeding in this high school are notorious for it. I don't want to dive right into chapter one only to lose half the class because they don't have the skills required to move into that material. I realize they may have already done this, but I don't have any of that information. After that I was going to go over the review chapter very briefly. I have the teacher editions already and have looked through them some.

To be honest, I'm not even sure there are classes yet. I think they're sitting in the library or cafeteria during that block because the administration is not sure which room I'll be in. I'll get a room assignment and keys 7AM Monday. First block starts 722. That leads me to believe there is not currently a class being run by a sub.

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible and really appreciate any advice!

3. CareerQA

CareerQA New Member

Aug 15, 2014

Best of luck to you.

I remember when I was in Algebra I the teacher would go over the material briefly in the textbooks, then go to the chalkboard and do sample problems to walk us through it then give the assignment. There was typically enough time for use to do 1 or 2 problems ourselves and ask questions if needed.

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 17, 2014

Hi. 85 minutes of math time is rather long for a math class. I also teach Alg. 1 & 2 plus Geometry and another, but they are only an hour. Do you have any idea how to fill in the extra 25 minutes? Although in math, time is rather fast solving problems. All the best in your teaching.

5. HottyToddy

HottyToddy Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks for the replies! We haven't made much progress with the material because we're working on calming down still and getting into a learning mindset. Some of them still think I'm just another sub and some of them are trying to pull fast ones- We don't do school work on game day, we don't have to do anything in this class and you can't fail us. So, we're getting there, and next week we're really going to get going.

I've got the kids who either didn't well the year prior or who are repeating. We've been reviewing basic math skills this week- adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and order of operations. These kids have a lot of teachers who they think just don't care anymore. And they're finally realizing that I do care. When that realization hits, they are eager to learn. So I'm optimistic.

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 23, 2014

Usually there is a new teacher orientation with the school or district. Find out what was distributed or discussed. There might even be a packet.