Starting a new job in the morning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Dec 16, 2018.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2018

So tomorrow I start what many would call my dream job. It is in the small rural district I have been trying to get into for a long time. It is a position I think I am perfect for (special education, but I will also teach life skills/adulting......so I get a kitchen, sewing machines and power tools,.....all things I love)

I am terrified.

The demonstration lesson was perfect in every way, it was just me teaching to the best of my ability. I had the kids make dirt cups, but they had to do the math to make the 1/4 measuring cup I brought work for the recipe.

Now I am afraid I won't live up to that perfect lesson and I won't be able to keep this job. I know I am a good teacher (three years of great evals) but I have had to move districts almost every year. This is my chance to stay in one place, which has been the goal all along.

Anyone have any advice for a terrified experienced teacher? (I feel as terrified as I did the day before I started student teaching, I hid in my closet and cried for hours then....now I just wanna hide in my bed forever)

I just don't want to blow this.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Dec 16, 2018

First of all, congrats on getting the position! I think as an experienced teacher it sounds like you know what type of position is the best fit for you, and it is great that you found what you were looking for. This truly is so hard to find for so many people.

I'm know that anxiety and pressure to perform are high right now. Try to take time to relax in the before work with prayer, meditation, exercise, whatever works for you. Remember that they hired you for a reason, trust in your abilities and take it one step at a time tomorrow. Be well planned and build relationships with students. All you can do is your best. Congrats again! Sending prayers your way.

futuremathsprof and wldywall like this.
  4. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Dec 16, 2018

Congratulation! You got this. It is normal to be anxious--there are a lot of unknowns. In a week you will feel so much better. Really, I think as soon as you walk in and start teaching you will fel a lot more confident. They chose you over others because they believe in you.

You will be great. Every lesson won't be perfect but that is ok. I like the saying "excellence not perfection."

Advice--be positive, be cheerful, be a team player.