starting a long term sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by engineerkyle, Aug 17, 2014.

1. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Aug 17, 2014

a music teacher wants me to fill in for her at the beginning of the school year. I am certified for this. General advice?
    Should i contact the P , he's new... and HR?

I'd like to introduce myself and find out if I should be looking for this assignment on AESOP.

Wrote this letter, haven't emailed it

Dear Pam, Mike, Sarah and Jason,
    Greetings,
    Sarah L. has requested that I sub for her for the beginning of the school year. I would like to do this, but I was wondering if there is a more suitable position a teacher with my experience and education could fill?
    If this is the best “fit” for UCS and me at this time, I’ll be happy to assist with the music at S++++d, and I have a couple questions related to the job.
    Will I have to accept this job on AESOP?
    As my instruction will cover several weeks, we can uncover a lot about music! Can I give a concert some time during the interim? I believe you’ll be impressed when you hear how much quality music I can get from the students.
    Can I get a password and ID for the computers?

Thanks,
    Kyle Engelmann
    Resume and credentials on file

Sarah says both these people know I am subbing for her. Maybe I should lay low and just show up.

See my projects at
    engineerkyle.com

video blog

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2014

The teacher should probably handle it. I've never know of a long-term assignment to pop-up on Aesop. They usually manually assign you days when you are on a LTS.

I would ask the teacher what she wants you to do.

Don't just 'show up' either. I had to go in and get an ID badge and stuff. I had spoken several times to HR and the P before starting. I was chosen because I interviewed with the district but wasn't chosen. So I did already know the P.

My district also had 'transition days' where you shadow.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

I assume from your post that, in your district, the teacher is responsible for choosing/hiring their long-term sub? Have you met with the principal or HR to formalize this? Here, while a teacher may have a preference for who covers their leave, interviews must be conducted and proper procedures regarding hired must be followed. It would never be as easy as, "Hey, Kyle, I'm going to be off for a bit, can you cover for me?"

I think that your email is far too casual considering you haven't started the job yet. The question of a concert should be broached once you have started and seen, first-hand, where you can take these kids that you don't know. I would ask to meet with the principal, asap, to confirm things and to ask how you would go about obtaining a password, etc. (in my building, obtaining passwords are not the job of the administration).

I would send something more along these lines:

Good morning:
    Sarah has mentioned to me that she has spoken with you about the possibility of having me cover her leave. I would welcome the opportunity to sit down with you, at your earliest convenience, to discuss this position.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2014

I agree with giraffe.

I'm confused, do you have the job or not? Your letter sounds like you want something better, which may lead admin to believe that you wouldn't stay for the length of the position.

I'd save the questions for after you've confirmed that you have the position. In my school, music concerts are on the calendar.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2014

I'm also in agreement that your letter needs tweaking. Why would you agree to sub for someone and then tell the P that you are looking for a different position?

7. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Aug 17, 2014

It's true, I'm seeking a full time contract, and last year this school has had me sub for them every chance they got, it seems. I've been there dozens of times, but the P is a new hire.

Maybe I could make it clear that I would stay the term, if I can't help out better somewhere else. Actually, my gut and character tell me that since I've agreed to do this, I shouldn't even be talking about a better position, but I'd like those in charge to know my desires. This is only supposed to be for three weeks.

I am concerned about the lack of formality of this agreement so far; the teacher tells me the P and HR know I'm subbing for her, and that is all I've got.

See my other projects at
    engineerkyle.com

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

So, you haven't met or spoken to the P? When is this position supposed to start?

Oh, and if you are only going to be there for three weeks, I wouldn't bring up anything about a concert.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

The job is for three weeks. In NJ, it is a longer than daily sub position, but not long enough to get posted for. If you would like to be in one place in your field for three weeks, accept the job. If you are holding out for something more, decline. If you do a good job, they will remember. No promises about the future, but impressions count.

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

FWIW, UCS had an art teacher position open this summer, and they hired (I believe) someone who did LTS last year. I have also heard they hire ridiculously late (after school starts.)

I would take the long term sub, and once you start let everyone know how much you adore the school and district and would love to work there permanently.

ETA: Are you looking for a music ed job? I feel like there were a million this summer. But maybe that's just because there were very few art ones :)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

I think I need more details. I'm very confused.

Based on my limited understanding of the situation, here are my thoughts.

1. No concert. I don't think that 3 weeks is enough time to adequately prepare for that.

2. Don't send that letter at all, or at least not anything mentioning your desire for a different position. That's something you can bring up in person if you have the opportunity to do so.

3. By all means, make sure that you actually have this gig. A call to HR is probably in order to get things clarified.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2014

They usually do their interviewing pretty late. I went through the interview process with them last year. I was offered several PT jobs (but couldn't financially accept them). They were all the last week of August. They were all math interventionist positions (the ones that were offered).

13. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Aug 19, 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful responses. Here is the email I sent to HR, heavily tweaked with your suggestions;

Good Morning,

Sarah L=== has requested that I sub for her for at the beginning of this school year. I’ll be happy to assist with the music at UCS, and I have a couple questions related to the job.

Will I have to accept this job on AESOP?

Would it be appropriate for me to contact the principal at S======= before I start? If so, could you share his contact information with me?

Thanks,
    Kyle E===
    Resume and credentials on file

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Much better and more appropriate to the situation. Good luck.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

Much more appropriate letter! Good luck with the job...hope it will lead to something permanent.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

This version is MUCH better, EK. :thumb:
    Good luck!

17. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Aug 23, 2014

Got the Job

Admin was very nice, and implied I might get more LTS assignments.

It was odd on Friday. Another district came with another LTS, and the music job had not been finalized. We were juggling AESOP for a while.

Whats the best way to make my intentions clear I want a contract with a public school district? I apply online to the districts where I sub and others when I think I see a match.

Kyle

See my other projects at
    engineerkyle.com

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

While I am not well versed in Michigan procedures, I can tell you a little about NJ that is similar to most other states. When a job opens up that you are interested in, submit an application. On most applications, they state something to the effect that positions may open and fill quickly, so what are all the positions you would consider and are qualified for. They go on to state that your application will be kept on file for one year. I know that the applitrack applications look like this, and sure enough, close to the one year mark, you will get an email that tells you it is about to expire. You can keep that from happening by updating it. For the districts that are not using applitrack, you can request that they keep your application on file for future positions that you may qualify for. Yes, reapply if you find the perfect job posting, just to move your resume and credentials to the forefront. Certainly apply to districts where you don't sub - the subbing will still benefit you on your resume. Also, if you do a LTS job and become chummy with teachers, ask if they would mind writing a letter of reference for you. Some will, some won't, hence the part about asking the ones who know and like you, who believe you would be a great full time teacher. Just like your first letter bordered on pushy, you will feel out the teachers who genuinely like and respect you, and this is who you talk to. Administrators are harder to get to know well enough to do this with, but if that truly happens, I would ask, knowing that the answer could well be no.

As an aside, you have reached an age where many teachers find it harder to secure jobs. How do I know that? It is on the link you provided. I am going to suggest what was suggested to me. Scrub your blog, website, and resume of dates and ages that would possibly rule you out before you get the chance to prove what you can do. It won't hurt you subbing, but permanent placements are different, with many people looking at your resume. Don't give them ammunition to rule you out. Honestly, your resume doesn't need dates until you get to job history, and then it only needs the more current and relevant ones to be dated. Furthermore, you may want to google yourself and see what comes up, because they will! Make sure it is the profile you want seen. If you don't have a linkedin account, create one. You get to present the profile you would like for others to see, and people do search there.

Sorry this is so long, but just trying to give you some things to consider and think about. The job hunt may land something in your lap unexpectedly, but usually it is a somewhat long and tedious process for those our age. I offer this advice because it has all been learned the hard way. Best of luck, and hubby loved your video. :)

19. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Sep 13, 2014

Hi All,

The job is going well. Almost every student is cooperating. They love to sing, and I love to hear them sing. I sit with the staff and they are cordial at lunch, but very detached towards any kind of relationship that might develop.

I can't tell if this is because I'm done with the assignment next week, or because I'm a threat or a scab or something. MI is now "right to work" and if I were in a plum old school contract I'd hate to see new teachers being replaced by outsourced workers like me who are trying to break in for half wages.

Kyle

See my projects at
    engineerkyle.com

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2014

I wouldn't find it unusual for teachers to be detached. During the school day, so much is going on that a little break at lunch is just enough to recharge for the afternoon and most teachers prefer to just chill during that time.

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2014

That's the part that was confusing me. It comes across as a little wishy washy. I would try for the lts position and hope it turns into something more in the future, unless they're advertising specific openings that you would be qualified for. In that case, apply for those and forget about the lts position.