Starting a High School Practicum!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MetalTeacher, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Sep 15, 2017

I just got a practicum placement (I'm in the fall semester of my grad program, the last before student teaching) and I'm so excited to start! I'll be working in 10th and 11th grade English classrooms. (My host teacher does both, on alternating days.) I'll be working in a fairly rural school that just started a 1:1 technology program this year.

No real questions, just excited and wanted to share, but any and all advice is welcome of course.

CherryOak and AlwaysAttend like this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 15, 2017

That is fantastic! Cannot wait to hear details of the setup.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 15, 2017

If your teacher isn't tech savy, that might be a great way to prove your worth to both the teacher and admin.

5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Sep 25, 2017

I started my practicum today and spent the first two blocks at the high school. I met her first two 11th grade honors classes but we didn't do a lot today because the guidance department was meeting with all of her junior year classes that day about what's expected of juniors, and how to figure out which careers or colleges you might want to go to. I got to observe the students and work on familiarizing myself with them as I went around and helped with the technology aspects though so it was a pretty good day. The kids seem really nice. My host teacher seems really nice too so I'm excited for the next eight weeks! I get to meet her 10th graders tomorrow.

catnfiddle likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2017

I also started grad school this year and my practicum is in 8th grade math. I hope you have a great year!

MetalTeacher likes this.