Starting a Classroom Library!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by clr2785, Aug 15, 2007.

1. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

If one was to start an entire 2nd grade basic classroom library from scratch...yikes!...does anyone have any clue as to how much that would cost (rough estimate, of course)? I'm talking all the classics...Junie B, Amelia Bedelia, Magic Treehouse, Bev Cleary, etc etc. Would love your input- thanks! :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

I think I was given about $1000 when I started my classroom but it's never enough regardless of how much money you have to spend on books!!

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

A lot. I spent at least $500 last year building mine from scratch. The best places to buy, in my opinion, are ebay (look for "lots" of books) and thrift stores. I like to go to goodwill on half price sale days. Also look for deals at salvation army and savers if you have them in your area. Garage sales are good too, but you can find larger amounts with ebay and thrift stores.

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I spent about 800 of my own money. I have bought many books using my bonus points through scholastic. The students love buying the books and i get many points. I would def. suggest sending those home. I send home higher level and lower level ones because they may have siblings. The kids will also buy a book that I have read to them in class.

6. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I agree with book orders. Last year I bought a ton of books. They often have 99 cent specials and you can use your bonus points! I found a lot of great holiday books through Scholastic. Way cheaper than Barnes and Noble or Borders! Good luck with your class :)

7. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Has anyone had any luck with buying books by the lot on Ebay? I have been browsing and it looks like there might be tons of good deals out there, but I don't know if I should start with new books for durability/reliabity-sake.

8. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Hit Up yard sales.... it will cost you nothing!!! Say your a teacher and people will give you even more for less!!!

9. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

My favorite way to get books is the goodwill- at my goodwill it's 40 cents for paperback and 70 cents for hardcovers. i have gotten SO many almost new books there.

People will give you great deals at garage sales if you say you're a teacher.

Also- we have a scholastic warehouse near my home. a few times a year they'll have deals where all books are 1/2 off or buy one get one free. they also have $1 alley where everything is a dollar. this is place my husband hates me going to :)

I was also thinking about asking parents to have their child donate a special book to the class for their birthday- on their birthday they can read the book and then donate it to the library. I don't know if parents would want to do this :unsure:

10. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I agree with the other posts, go to scholastics.com. They have sets of books for each grade called Classroom Library's for about $100. Then you can add to it throughout the year buying books each month to match your theme. Also, they sell the sets of different authors, such as all the Robert Munch books, etc. Good luck! :)

11. JillianCleary

JillianCleary Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

classroom library

I have started looking on EBAY. I got 2 lots of 10 Arthur books (20 books total) for about $20. I also took my sisters whole library from third grade because she had a variety of books... some lower level and I figure you always get those students who are reading on a higher level and can read a third grade book. I just need to come up with a good way to sort them all. I think scholastic has a level sorter sheet I may follow. I am trying to find where I saw this.

12. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Bookcloseouts.com has some good prices and the Scholastic Warehouse Sale is a good way to get books too. You may want to ask families in your classroom to donate books they don't want anymore also.