Started a long-term position last week - so time consuming, but I love it!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Special-t, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

There's so much to do and not enough time to do it all. Luckily, I'm very organized or I'd be freaking out. I'm subbing High School, but I'm finding my Elementary School experiences to be invaluable. Elementary subbing gave me practice at staying organized while thinking on my toes and handling behaviors at the same time.

I love the school, love the kids and love the subject matter. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity.

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2009

That's great that you got a long-term position, Special-t! Is it until the end of the school year?

4. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

That's wonderful, Special-t! How long is your assignment? I know I enjoyed being in the same class when I had a 5 week assignment.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2009

That's great! I taught 6th grade for 6 months last year and student taught Kinder. I'm now in high school. I totally agree that my el ed teaching has helped me. There are lots of transferable skills. And hey, sometimed high schoolers act like Kindergartners :lol:!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2009

Heck, sometimes grownups act like kindergartners...

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

That's so excellent Special-T!

I am in a LT Position too, though as an IA. I actually cannot wait until Monday.:p

I love the kids, the teachers and the school.:thumb:

8. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Can you please talk a bit about the kinds of duties that a longterm sub is expected to perform? Make lesson plans? Create/grade assessments?

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

Yes to both. And even enter official end-of-semester/quarter grades if you happen to be working during that time. In my case, the permanent teacher will be entering the quarter grades, but I'll be responsible for end of semester.

The lesson planning is the time-consuming part because it includes creating tests and other assessments like writing assignments, etc.

And you have to attend department meetings! You basically act as if you were the permanent teacher. If you're lucky, as I am, the permanent teacher is just a phone call away for questions. And a few other teachers have volunteered to be available for support with behavior and curriculum questions.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

My understanding is that I'm there till the end of the semester.

11. Groovy

Groovy Companion

May 9, 2009

I worked in an office (briefly) where 30 and 40 year old women seemed to have never left middle school. :eek:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

Is this something that could turn into full time next year?

13. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 9, 2009

I just finished a long term assignment- it was a blast, enjoy it while you are there. All of the work and time spent is more than worth it. It sure is difficult to go back to this day to day business and the unknown when you are done!

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 9, 2009

This is great Special-T good for you! I am sure you are busy. It will more than likely get easier as you get a system down....just in time for the end of the semester;)

Congrats!

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

Everyone is so supportive on this site! It has gotten a bit easier as I've gotten into a routine. It won't turn into full time next year because the teacher is definitely coming back (actually, on time to do the finals and final grades this semester). The experience is priceless.

16. palla

palla Companion

May 12, 2009

That is so wonderful, SpecialT! I bet you are loving it! How fun and what great experience. Good for you! :)

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 12, 2009

Special-t -- Congratulations on the LTS position! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Be sure to have the principal come and observe one of your classes before you leave so that you can ask for a letter of recommendation later on.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 12, 2009

EXCELLENT advice GlendaLL - really make sure you do this Special T, ask if he/she will evualate you, get a copy of the evaluation as well as the letter of recommendation. This would be really valuable if you are looking for a teaching position.