Start Student #s Now?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, Oct 17, 2008.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

New teacher 3rd grade as classroom just opened up. Numerous classrooms I've been in use student numbers. I always thought it was a good idea to have student numbers but after I thought about it, does it really save a lot of time inputting grades? I mean it takes time to put student work in number order as well.

Are you assigning student numbers based on alphabetical first or last names? or some other basis?

I have my grade sheet on Excel and I have it listed alphabetically from 1st name so thought I'd assign numbers based on first names.

3. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I do #s by 1st name b/c it helps me learn the names faster. I love having #! I have checkoff sheets w/ just #& it makes life easier. On the textbooks, we have #s so if I see #7 reading book floating around, I know who it belongs to. I do lineup activities (if you're odd..even..between 1-5, etc) and that's fun for them. One savvy kiddo told the others that their #s were abc order so when I asked them to put themselves in abc order outside one day they did it by numbers!! ;) It's funny, but I remember them in their order. It can take time to put papers in order, but I've found that students can do that for you if it's by #.

Wow I used # a lot :lol:

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2008

I wondered the same thing. I teach primarily kinder, but last year, I taught fifth grade. I decided to go ahead and try out the number system. I had 30 kids and I learned all of their numbers within two weeks. I knew on the top of my head who #11 was. And yes, it really does making inputting grades, homework, etc faster. I liked it. Plus, you can play games with their numbers. All students whose number are evens line up, odds against evens during PE, etc. And it made putting papers into order by number so fast and easy!

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2008

I also use the number system in first grade ans it makes my life a whole lot easier. My students are in # order by last names. It helps with grading papers and inputting grades in our egradebook. My students also know the order and I let them pick up the papers in order to make it easier for me. If we are in a hurry, my aide will pick them up in order.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 18, 2008

I'm more of an alphabetical person, but I did assign numbers. Our school has badges for students, and they also have to have a bus pass. So i have a pocketchart and each student has their own slot with a number on it. I don't use the numbers to help with my grading or anything. I do use them for games and things like that. I probably would have used them more, if my class wasn't a revolving door. I've had 5 new, 6 leave, and one moved in from another class. :)

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Oct 18, 2008

It's pretty easy to learn their numbers and for the most part the kids all know their numbers and other classmates numbers. It helps with supplies and labeling, no need to relabel next year with names because you will already have the number system in place.

8. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I basically do both. I alphabetize for grade book and sorting papers but for desks and items I want the students to use I number. I have 3 different class groups so I have to have a number system so that I only have to have 20-24 items instead of 60-70.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 18, 2008

I always use numbers. They are assigned according to last name. It saves tons of time. Much faster to put things in # order than ABC order. Kids line up every time in number order, so no pushing and fighting. And if there is any kind of problem, like a missing kid, or a fire drill, you can count and know exactly who is missing right away.

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 18, 2008

I started using numbers last year. They are in last name alphabetical order since that's how the class lists come to me from the school board computer system, and that's how they appear when I input my marks for report cards. It's great because when I'm gathering work, I can see exactly whose work is missing, and you learn their numbers pretty quick when you use them all day.

11. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Oct 18, 2008

I do use numbers, but not really for grading. When I grade a paper, I record the grade on an alphabetical class list and use this list to enter grades into the computer later.

I use numbers to label things in the classroom that I don't want to have to redo every year with student names, such as desks, storage, etc.

If I have a class set of something, such as textbooks, I will number those.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2008

I am a big number person. I remember numbers easily, so it really helps me learn their names. And, it also allows me not to need a class list all the time. I can rattle off my whole class in a few seconds. For example, we were enrolling our students into a computer program the other day. I was the first one done. The other teachers were scratching their heads trying to figure out who they forgot :lol:

13. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Oct 20, 2008

I use numbers on all supplies, books, check off sheets, etc. I love it! The kids are used to lining up in order and they like to race- odds vs evens. We don't have enough new computers in computer lab, so we rotate who gets new computers vs dinosaurs. It has so many uses other than inputting grades!

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 20, 2008

It's works wonderfully. Our on line Gradebook is alphabetized by last name. I'll have a child put the numbers in order before I ever start grading papers. It's a great time saver.