Start of Year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by krysmorgsu, Aug 31, 2009.

1. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I know some of us have gone back already, and others are starting this week. I wanted to check in with everybody and see how their new year is looking..
    How are your students so far?
    How are your classrooms?
    If you are in a new school, is it going well?
    These are just some questions I was thinking of. Feel free to add on more! I just figured that a beginning of year round-up might be nice...we spend so much time discussing, debating, and supporting on here, that I'd really like to know how people are doing so far!!

Unfortunately, I can't start it yet.. I don't see my kids until Wednesday!

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 31, 2009

I have workshops/setting up my room all of this week. The kids start Sept 8. I'm nervous! This will be a new school for me.

Good luck everyone!

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck to you, too, Bumble!!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

Today was day 9 for me and I'm crazy about my kids! There's a very positive force on the entire campus so far this year. We had a staff meeting this afternoon and even the principal acknowledged how great the year has started.

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

Oh Hoot, that's wonderful!!!

7. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 31, 2009

Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the year. I start next Tuesday - very excited!

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

I'm glad everyone is having a good time so far. I start with kids on Sept 10th.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

We've been together for three days, and it seems like a pretty good bunch. Even my standard level kids are pretty mellow. I just wish the rosters would stabilize - I printed out new attendance sheets after lunch, and after sixth period my colleague came by and mentioned that I was getting one of her students. I checked the computer and had to print a whole new set of rosters because there were several changes. But I'm not complaining - my biggest class of CPs is 38 and my standard class is down to a manageable 24.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

Glad to hear it, Mrs. K. I hope your roster stabilizes, too. I hate that waiting to set up my gradebook and not knowing who's coming and going!

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

We are a month in, and I'm finding there's quite a change in the population. We knew we would have a change since the new school opened up down the road and took half our school with them. They got the high-end kids--$300,000 plus homes and rural dynasties.

We got the trailor park and starter home subdivisions. I was determined to not let it change a thing--kids are kids.

However.....
    I have noticed a huge change in attitude. Parents back me up if I call them, but they don't follow through with making sure homework is done. They don't quiz them to get ready for tests. Kids talk back and claim that they talk that way at home, too. There is a huge motivation issue with way too many of our fifth graders this year. I notice that during writing class, the characters are often engage in inappropriate and violent activities, and when I tell them to make it school-appropriate, they laugh.

I just need to adjust and change my approach. (Not expectations, just how I'm going to get what I want.)

My personal homeroom class is great. But I teach writing to the whole fifth grade. It's definitely a challenge.

12. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Good luck, Shouldbeasleep! Hopefully, they calm down soon and allow you to concentrate more on teaching and less on classroom management. It sounds like your school has practically become a new school - with a new student culture.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2009

Yes, it's a cultural change... a different way of being a "hands on" parent.

It's a challenge to all of us here, but we'll get there.