Start of the year is EXHAUSTING me.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 3, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

I won't get into specifics, but, boy... the start of this year is absolutely wearing me out.

Between testing, duties, new admin, new curriculum, and more, I wish I would have been given like 2 weeks just to get lesson plans written and stuff copied.

:dizzy:

It is a consistent game of catch-up.

It seems like everyone at my school feels the same. It's just all too much.

How about you all?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Sep 3, 2015

It's exhausting and it's my seventh year teaching! Every year there's new schoolwide or departmental policy changes and new initiatives which means I have to change almost everything. I have three brand new preps including AP (first time teaching), so in some ways I feel like a new teacher again. I feel so bad for all the brand new teachers out there! But the positive thing is I have a system for everything now and I know most of my students from previous years, so it's actually been pretty smooth for me so far. I will have to get used to talking almost all day again and taking work home, but it'll happen. My feet hurt and I pass out once my head hits the pillow at 10pm!!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2015

There is no tired like beginning of the year tired--no matter how long you've been teaching! Hang in there; it will get better.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2015

I'm on year 23. I've taken a nap after school more days than I haven't. We are finishing week five!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2015

It's about 90 degrees in my classroom....that alone is exhausting.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

We're on week 3 and I'm just now starting to feel better. The first week I literally came home at 2-2:30, put on my pjs and crawled into my bed. I watched tv, ate and browsed online the remainder of the day. Never made it to the gym,
    Last week I got to go to the gym twice, same this week. Feet hurt really bad the first week or so and I was so exhausted, even though the kids have been super good, I was actually sitting a lot, and not on my feet like I used to.

It was just a long summer of relaxing and now back to work. It will get easier.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

This was actually a pretty easy beginning of year for me. We're all going to be moving classrooms over winter break. With that in mind, I set up my room exactly how I set it up last year. Took about 8 hours total, and I spent the rest of the time doing various computer preps.

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 3, 2015

Week three for me. It seems like my students are still in honeymoon phase, which I am thankful for - I don't know why I feel so exhausted and unorganized. I have a lot of hats outside the classroom...I need to find a way to stay organized. It's really hard for me this year. I hope those of you saying it will get easier are right. Maybe it's another muscle that just hasn't been worked over the summer.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 3, 2015

This thread is so encouraging, because it means I'm normal!

We are in week 4. I am JUST beginning to feel like I can catch my breath. I've been working 6 days a week - 7-8 hours every Sunday so far. I've also been working more hours than usual, and feeling like I'm never caught up!

This is my fourth year, but I didn't remember this - I must have blocked it out! :lol:

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 3, 2015

Yes! I'm so sleepy everyday and exhausted. Everyone else seemed so peppy that I thought I was weird. I have a lot more duties this year, and while I'm teaching less sections overall, I have things packed together a lot closer, and I have to run across the campus between periods with very little time to prep for my next class.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2015

I'm expecting to take a nap every day next week when the students come back and I actually start teaching :) I'm spending this Friday shopping for supplies and decorating my classroom. And then Saturday will be spent lesson planning.

As crazy as this time of year can be for teachers, it is nice to get back into doing what I love so very much :)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2015

Mine as well. I couldn't finish all of the set-up that I wanted to do yesterday because of the heat; I'm going to get in early this morning for about an hour before it gets too unbearable.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2015

I've been back to work for 5 weeks now, end of 2nd week where students are back and this is the most tired I've been in the 3 years I've been doing my job!

15. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 4, 2015

We don't start until Tuesday but I just found out yesterday that in addition to science, I'm now teaching a social skills/character ed group and a reading intervention group. I'm excited about both, but it's going to mean some scrambling this weekend to get something together for the first week. And I still have tons of stuff to do in my room although at this point, some of it's going to have to wait until after kids start. Like a few others, my room is a million degrees and once kids start, I can't even open the windows because there are no screens in them. I'm already exhausted and I'm not even actually teaching all day yet.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2015

It's the first week and it has been hot as hades; we have no A/C, we are on the top floor and our grade only gets 1 water cooler a day for 100+ kids. Kids and teachers spend all day with their backs soaked, sweat dripping down their face and thirsty. So thirsty.

Heat makes the kids act straight crazy - we have had 2 fights even though it is only week one.

17. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 5, 2015

Exhausted here too! We've had several changes this year as well, which means more to do, but overall it has been a good start to a new year. I have a sweet class, which I am SO thankful for!

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2015

AGREED

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

It was well over 100 degrees outside during our first two weeks in school. Although our classrooms & offices are air conditioned (as are most in CA), the heat wears everyone down!