Start New Job Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by cutNglue, Jul 15, 2013.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2013

I am excited but nervous! I feel like the first day of school. I have an outfit picked out, my lunch ready, doing last minute errands, wrote half my introduction letter so far, and I have an ice breaker ready for the first staff meeting (that isn't set up yet).

I find all kinds of resources for first time managers. What I can't seem to find is good resources for adults with developmental delays, vocational training support for mod/severe special needs, or geriatric information. (The last one is more available than the other ones mentioned).

I know I will first be going through basic training (first aid, etc) and be given some special regulations I have to memorize, but beyond that...I'm not sure what to do next. My plan is the following:

-Ask for email addresses for myself and those on my team.
    -Ask where organization mailboxes are (in house and outgoing).
    -Ask for job descriptions of those on my team and possibly resume/applications.
    -Find out who the scheduler is and set up a staff meeting and individual meetings.
    -Ask what support is needed to oversee the move to the new building.
    -Start asking tons of questions so I can learn the organization, the jobs on my teams, and think through any preliminary plans.

Any other suggestions?

I made it easy for the first day lunch. It may not be the healthiest but it is a pack and go--guacamole/pick de gallo with chips. I will have to learn how to brown bag it. I only have a 30 minute lunch but unlike school, I won't have a cafeteria.

Rule for tomorrow--fake it until I make it and don't over chatter. ;)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

So excited for you!:thumb:

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2013

You will be great!

Do you know what the communication system is like for the organization? What about documentation requirements and system?

If you have access to a microwave, there are tons of easy lunches, especially if you like leftovers. Just don't heat up fish and anger your coworkers.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2013

The communication system and documentation system are both tied into an online server program they use. I played around with it yeaterday to become more familiar with it. I know there are individual plans to be made for each program participant but I don't exactly know my own documentation needs yet.

In the meantime, I have a desk in a corner of a hall with a partition wall around me until they can move someone and present me with an office. My first two weeks is mostly training. I have been issued a laptop until my new computer arrives. I did check out incoming/outgoing mail procedures.

I've been given a roster and a link to start studying regulations.

My new position title is: Director of Day Services

My goal today is to introduce myself to the retirement staff, read a few regulations, attend 2 trainings, fill out a supply request, sign some paperwork, and get an introduction letter completed and ready to send out.