Starbucks Green Ice Tea Recipe- Fantastic!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

I get one of these every morning, and I wanted to see if I could make them at home.

Mission accomplished!

Pick up a box of Tazo Green Tea bags at the store-about $5 for 6 bags. Soak five bags in four cups of boiling tea for 5 minutes. When it's done, take the bags out (without squeezing the water out of them) and pour in 4 cups of cold water in with the original tea bag water.

Put this in the fridge to get cold. This is the concentrate they use to make the tea-it will be very strong.

Then make the syrup they use to sweeten it with (if you like it sweet). Boil 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar until the sugar dissolves-this will be the syrup. I put more than 1 cup of sugar in because I didn't think it would be sweet enough, but dh said it was almost too sweet.

When your concentrate is cold, take a shaker (I used our martini shaker) and put a few ice cubes in it. Pour concentrate into about half of the shaker, and fill the rest with cold tap water. Shake it really well and pour it into a glass over ice. Then put a bit of the syrup into it and stir.

Done! It tastes JUST like it. Now I have a pitcher of the concentrate in the fridge, and a measuring glass full of syrup. Each morning I'll just pour, shake, put it into a travel mug and go!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

...and save a lot of money.!!!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

I hope so! I'm trying to figure it out logically. If I get it from Starbucks, I only buy one a day for $2.

If I make it at home, I'll drink it all day, every day, drinking more. So it may cost less per glass... but will I drink more each day, making it more expensive?? ;)

I'm thinking you could get maybe 10 glasses out of the concentrate, bringing your cost to 50 cents a glass.

5. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Do you know if Tazo makes the green tea in decaf?

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

No idea. Dh got me this box as a surprise, and I'm addicted to the caffeine in it anyhow. Good question-I'll keep my eyes open for it...

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

I just bought a large concentrated carton of Tazo Chai Tea to pour over milk and ice! It's delicious and saves me money!

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

Instead of boiling down the sugar to make syrup, if you are lazy, you could get a full bottle of the classic syrup from SB for $7.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

Yeah, Molly, that was the original plan. But our SB closed at 7, and I was desperate. This worked. ;) I think I'll get their next time so it's not SO sweet. Good to know it's $7-that's not terrible!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

SB?

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

Oh, Starbucks. Doy!

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

Hmmm, that's pretty cool! I'm not a huge fan of green tea...but I've only tried it a couple times...and it was hot not cold. Maybe I should try some from SB the next time I go.

There are so many different drinks I want to try at SB...but I'm always just drawn to my same ol' 3 drinks in the end...haha.

13. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

Sounds delicious, I love green tea! Thank you for sharing!

14. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I love green tea, so I tried this--it was great! I used my Cranberry Pomegranate green tea bags (cheap Lipton ones) and it still turned out pretty well. :thanks: