Star Student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2013

This year I want to do a "Student of the Week" - where we interview and celebrate each student in the class for a week.
    I have a bulletin board devoted to it. I thought I'd put up the child's picture and each day we'd learn something about the 'star'. At the end of the week the students in the class would draw and write about the student and I'd compile the writing into a book for the 'star'.

Does anyone else do something like this? How do you organize and structure it? Do you have the students bring in things to show the class? I don't do a formal show and tell right now, so I could incorporate it into this.

3. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 26, 2013

At the school I student taught at, all teachers in grades K-2 were required to do this in their classes (but each teacher was allowed to implement it how they pleased). I student taught in K and got to see this first hand. The students' parents (or older siblings) would come to the class and would help them present their poster that they made and then they brought in a few of their favorite toys and their parent/older sibling would read their favorite book to the class :)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 27, 2013

I did something similar, but it was Special Kid for the Day. I would draw a name out of the name can, and that student was the Special Kid the next day. I got my ideas from Month-by-Month Phonics for First Grade by Patricia M. Cunningham and Dorothy P. Hall. It is a fantastic guide! Here are some of the activities we did for each Special Kid:

*Special Kid found a mini candybar on his/her desk first thing in the morning, and a badge (handmade) that said "I'm the Special Kid today!" I let them eat the candy right away - a HUGE treat as I allowed candy in the classroom about 3 times a year!

*Special Kid got to sit in the Special Kid chair at circle time.
    *SK was interviewed by the group and we wrote up a brief synopsis on tagboard, to be added to our class book.
    *SK got to be the line leader for the day.
    *everyong drew a picture of the SK that he/she took home at the end of the day

It was a lot of fun, and a lot of work being consistent each day. I learned to do SK activities M-Th and we had a day off on Fridays. The kids loved these activities.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 27, 2013

I do this! Every Friday we choose (randomly) a child to be the STAR of the week. That child takes home a questionnaire about himself, a note to the parents explaining the whole process, our class mascot (stuffed animal), and a journal to write about his weekend with the mascot in.

Monday: STAR shares what he wrote in the journal about his weekend with the class mascot and his About Me questionnaire is posted in the hallway.

Tuesday: STAR brings something for Show and Tell.

Wednesday: STAR trades seats with someone for the day.

Thursday: STAR brings a picture book for the teacher to read to the class.

Friday: STAR chooses (randomly from sticks) next week's STAR.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 27, 2013

Great ideas! Queenie, I like how you have something for every day of the week.