Star Student Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Noel, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 4, 2010

If you have a Star Student, or a Student of the Week, do you have them do something special everyday of the week? When I taught 1st grade I had them bring in something different every day. I would read the class their favorite book, they got to bring in 1 toy, etc.

Now that I am in 4th grade I am struggling with what to do with this age? Any advice?

Also there can't be food involved. We can't reward them with food and they can't bring food in to share with the class.

Help!!! :thanks:

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

I'm in third grade and I just started a Student of the Week last year. I have a bulletin board set that I put up on my closet door. Before school on Monday (or during silent reading if they can't come before), they answer the questions about themselves and can bring in pictures to put up also. On Friday they can bring in something for show and tell, and they tell us more about their pictures. Everyone can also ask them questions. I don't have them do anything else during the week-we don't have time for it!

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

For my Student of the Week students I give them:
    *a Student of the Week pencil that I picked up at the dollar store.
    *a Star Student ruler/bookmarker from Oriental Trading Company
    *a Homework Pass for an extra day on an assignment
    *the opportunity to take home an All American Student canvas bag that I got from Vista Print for "free" to use to bring back something to share with the class. Not all of them want to do that, but quite a few do. What they bring has to fit in the bag. :) Some have brought things they collect, hobby items, souvenirs from trips, scrapbooks the've made, photos, and even treats to share with their classmates. :)
    *Also, our principal takes a photo of them and gives us a sheet to write why they were chosen for that week. He then displays them outside his office. :)
    *If they are chosen to be Student of the Week a second time, I have a small All Amercan Student Award magnet that I got from Vista Print to put on their locker or side of their desk.

5. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

In a third grade class that I sub in the teacher has the star student lead the flag salute and become the line leader. Also, the teacher and students write a Star Letter to the star student. On Friday, the star student will bring in items from home to share.

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

Here are a couple things I do that could also work for 4th grade:

bring in a collage of your favorites to share
    share photos of friends and family - can even be a short DVD
    bring in a special object to share - you could change the wording to meaningful to make it more age appropriate

7. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I have a special desk students sit at when they're Star. They also get to sit on the couch all week in our library area.

8. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 8, 2010

I purchased an inexpensive but very soft and comfortable office chair at IKEA that I painted with "Student of the Week" on the back. That student gets to use the cushioned chair for the week. My fifth graders love it.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

I love this idea! I let the kids bring in show and tell one day during their week, but I think it would be way cooler to have a bag to send home for this purpose! Thank you!

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

Thank you!!! I let my star student sit at my desk on Wed. of their week last year, but it got to be annoying to have to move my stuff out of the way. I will definitely have a Star Seat this year! :thumb:

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

I choose the first Star of the Week on a Friday afternoon (after Labor Day) and that student takes home our class mascot for the weekend. [This year I have a stuffed bear holding a star that says Shining Star on it. The class names the mascot each year by voting. Last year we had a monkey name Bradley, BoBo for short :) The Star also takes home our Star Journal (a composition notebook) and writes about his/her weekend with the mascot. The following week I have something special for the Star each day.

I have a survey the Star completes and returns on Monday. The survey is displayed, along with any pics the Star brings in, on the front bulletin board AND along with a Star of the Week certificate.

The Star of the Week gets to read silently instead of doing Morning Work all week, and gets to greet the class and remind them to do their lunch count as they enter the room.

Monday: Star reads entries from Star Journal to the class
    Tuesday: Star shares Show and Tell item
    Wednesday: Star sits at my desk (this year I will change this thanks to ideas I got from thsi post!)
    Thursday: Star reads a book to the class (this year I will do the reading! :dizzy: )
    Friday: Star picks the new Star of the Week and takes home survey, pics, and Star Certificate (I'd like to find some Star pencils, stickers, or something else to give them this year as well.)

I'm not sure what I'll do on Wednesday this year since I plan to have a Star Seat for all week...??

12. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

What a special week you plan for your Star Students!! I have gotten pencils from Oriental Trading Company...here's a link:
    http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=star+pencils&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0
    I used the first ones listed. :)

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2010

Everyone's 1st day of school homework is to complete a "All About Me" poster. I file them away until it is their turn to be student of the week. Then I hang the poster on the door for others to see. I found some really cute ones at Dollar Tree this year.
    Their "jobs" for the week are to
    *keep up the calendar wall
    *write the word of the day when it is announced
    *be the line leader
    *change the job list for the following week on Friday
    *say the pledge on our pledge day

I give them a Student of the Week pencil (from Dollar Tree), a Student of the Week bookmark, and a Student of the Week certificate (also from Dollar Tree). I usually give them their gifts on our Pledge day. Each teacher is assigned a Pledge Day for the week. On that day, after the tardy bell, the teacher sends down one student from their room to say the pledge with 5 other students in the school on the intercom (our day was Thursday last year). This helps me remember to give them everything at one time so I don't forget anything.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

GREAT IDEA!! Thanks!