Star Student of the Week Questions!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Love to Teach, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 26, 2004

Reading Noel's great question about sponsoring a student of the week format for the coming year made me think of something that has bothered me for some time, but thinking it might get her question off track, I decided to pose my question in a separate thread. Hope that makes sense! Anyway, here goes!

At our school, we have to choose a Student of the Week each week. This student is then photographed and his/her picture, along with a short paragraph explaining why they were chosen, is displayed outside the principal's office. I have struggled with coming up with a criteria to choose the Student of the Week that is fair. In the past, I have made sure that each student is chosen at least once during the year, and then have written up a paragraph highlighting that student's assets. During the extra weeks, I try to choose a student who has performed exceptionally during the week.

I think this is valuable, but I also think that it takes away from the real purpose of the program, that being to recognize someone for exceptional accomplishment or progress.

Question 1: Would it be better to do something within the classroom which validates each child, say an All About Me board, and trully make the Student of the Week an award for outstanding behavioral or academic success?

Question 2: If so, does anyone have any ideas on a way to make the criteria more specific, so as to be fair and consistent?

Thanks so much for your input!
    Jody
    (Noel, please forgive me if I am intruding on your question.)

3. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 26, 2004

Jody~ Don't worry you aren't intruding!!! I totally agree with you. Mine is in class and is more "All About Me" intended. I have exactly enough students to have each of them have 2 weeks. I am rotating them alphabetically! My theme is FISH so I am actually calling it "Star of the Sea"....

I am anxious to read the replies to both of our posts!

Thanks Noel

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 26, 2004

Noel, just wanted to say a quick thank you for your gracious reply!! What a cute idea for your student of the week board!! Best of luck with it and with your thread!!

(SMILIE!) (Can't seem to get them to work for some reason!) (SMILIE!)
    Jody

5. Teener

Teener Companion

Jul 27, 2004

I think that would be a good idea to have 2 separate awards, making the Star of the Week actually what it should be. You could have a "checklist" posted in your room saying what a Star Student is. List things like following all rules, turning in quality work on time, being respectful, showing good character traits, being mannerly, etc.
    Maybe you could make it an acronym for STAR STUDENT -- if you could come up with a trait for each letter. Not an acronym, but more like an acrostic poem.
    I will try to think of ways to word the traits so they would fit that method. I will post back with anything I can come up with.

6. jontybm

jontybm Rookie

Jul 27, 2004

Student of the week

Hi Noel, I teach 3rd grade in the UK and have used a Student of the Week reward for 2 years. Early in the year I ask each child to decorate a paper owl and when they get chosen, it goes in the centre of our achievement tree. They also have their photo displayed on the door under a Student of the Week sign. I will teach 2nd grade this school year and will discontinue the additional 2 small gifts from the goodie jar. I felt that it meant little to some of the children and as I was buying the goodies a 'thank you' was expected! What meant a lot to the children was a certificate that they took home with two paragraphs about why they were chosen. Many of the children in my class got theirs framed. I tried to ensure that each child earned the Student of the Week once in each year, exceptional students earned it twice. I did not devalue it by giving it to a child as it was their 'turn', they really had to earn it. Some children in the class received the award twice before a few of the less motivated students received it once. It was a very positive way of motivating all of the class and they love to hear who has earned the award each week.

Hope this helps, parents really did get behind it too! Email me on jontybm@hotmail.com if you have any queries Noel, good luck!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2004

You can recognize all of the children by using an "All About Me" board. Student of the Week sounds like it is something that needs to be earned! If it is earned than it is possible that some students may never get it or you need to look very hard to find something. I send home Winnie the Pooh on the weekends. I try to choose role models for the entire week, so if I have a student who is struggling when he or she has a good week (or even just a good Friday, good a.m.) I send it home with a positive note. That seems to motivate both the child & helps the parent too.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 30, 2004

I student taught in IL in 2nd grade and in England in 3rd... in my 2nd grade room, every student gets a "Super Star" week... they decorate an "all about me" poster, get to bring in one item Tuesday-Friday to share with the class, get to be door holder coming in from recess, and get to sit on a chair by the teacher during group times, as well as those random chores/priviledges that no one's assigned to during the week.

In my Year 3 class, each teacher in the school chooses one kid a week to receive a star of the week award...they decided by Thursday and wrote the kid and reason in a notebook kept in the lounge... I think most teachers tried to rotate through students so that every kid received it once before they repeated, although it didn't quite work that way all the time. We found that even with them ore "difficult" kids, we could find SOME way to praise them, even if it was simply improved behavior or concentration in a particular subject... we also found that because we were trying so hard to make sure some of the more "difficult" kids received awards (which actually DID improve their behavior!), we tended to overlook some of the kids who were consistently good... so we ended up wording it at the assembly "___ could have been star of the week any week this whole year." One thing I really liked that my class did was they sent that child out of the room for a little bit on Friday afternoon, and the rest of the class crated a brainstorming chart about all the good affermations they could give that child... she has nice hair, she always thinks up fun games at recess, she runs fast, he's funny, he's a good friend, etc... then one child gets to read the list to the star in front of the whole class (the star chooses who's going to do the reading)... the master copy is kept in a special notebook on display all year, the kid took a copy home on Friday afternoon along with their certificate.

Just another idea for you to use... I really liked it. :)

9. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 31, 2004

I agree with the replies above because I think your "STAR Student" should be special. This year I am doing student of the week too. Here are my two rules for student of the week: 1. Excellent behavior (since I use a ticket system in my class for behavior, everyday each student is given 3 tickets and at the end of the week the tickets should total 15. So, the student of the week should have 13-15 tickets for the week) 2. HOMEWORK (At my school we have intense reading program, so my students are only responsible for reading homework. So, they must read with an adult and them have the adult sign their homework assignment page and bring their reading book BACK!) And that is my problem. Students don't always remember their book and I think using Student of the week is a good positive reinforcement. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Sheree :)