STAR Reading Assessment?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissNikki, Sep 21, 2014.

1. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 21, 2014

Our district just recently started using the STAR Reading Assessment by Renaissance Learning. Is there anyone here who is familiar with it that could share their opinions? :thanks:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2014

It is not the most accurate of tests. Kids can simply guess well and do well even though they are not great readers.
    I've also had more than one kid throw the test- purposely do poorly on it so they will have a low AR goal :tired:

4. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 21, 2014

I would never use AR as I know it does not actually teach reading. However, we were told that this is going to be used solely to help drive our instruction.

5. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

AR was never intended to teach reading. Those who use it know that, too.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2014

I didn't understand how the scores were determined. I saw growth, definitely, but I could never find anything to explain how they got the numbers for the score of the actual STAR test-so it wasn't much use to me. But I do teach a much lower grade.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2014

AR is a (nonperfect) way to hold kids accountable for reading. As Sugar said, it doesn't, and was never supposed to, teach reading.

Off topic, but to elaborate on my reading goals comment- I, naturally, adjusted goals both ways. I'd never give a poor reader/good guesser an impossible job, nor would I give a good reader/test thrower a low goal.

For the OP- good luck with that. There are tons of programs out there that provide better/more accurate information to drive instruction. Unless it has changed in the last year (since I use it last), it gave little information besides a grade level equivalent, percentile, and class ranking.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

Exactly. I've had students in the past complete the test way too early.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 22, 2014

We have to use AR because the district pays for it.

10. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Sep 23, 2014

This.
    I feel like it's working OK as a very rough estimate of reading levels.
    What else do people like? Do you think the SRI test is better?

11. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 24, 2014

Our school uses STAR to help determine the Tier 1, 2 or 3 levels of RTI. We use AR as a reading incentive to get the entire school reading towards a preset point goal. At the end of the year a special surprise is planned if the students reach the goal.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2014

We use STAR....I don't love it...I feel I know my kids better than a computer ever will.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 27, 2014

AR takes about 20 minutes for each child working alone on a computer. I can run my class through it in about a week with no disruption to instruction. The results are not as accurate as my own determination about my students' progress, but they are nearly perfect about who will do well on standardized tests.

Our district tried adopting the DRA II test to track progress and drive instruction. It was a disaster! Each student takes 45 to 75 minutes to test and it must be done by me. That means I'm not teaching until everyone has been run through their tests. Then our district learned that the test is wildly inaccurate based on this study and several others.

None of us complain about the STAR test now.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 27, 2014

I had a kid last year who did this. :mad:

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

45 to 75 minutes for the DRA II? Whaaaaaat??? It takes me 8 minutes per kid to do a DRA II.

16. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 27, 2014

My school requires that we AR test regularly and MAKES us count a grade on their points. I really don't like AR for a few reasons.

1) I don't think the question stems really ascertain where the students are. I've found them to be marginally different than all the scores that I see of my kids in class. Meaning, usually, the STAR scores my kids higher than they actually are.

2) There are many books that are NOT "AR" books. Good books that kids should still be motivated to want to read without the pressure of NOT being able to read it simply because they won't get "credit" for it.

I wish I could opt out of using it in my class. :(

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 27, 2014

If a kid reads a book that is not an AR book, I give them an alternate assignment. I also don't require my kids to read within their ZPD exactly. I want them to read what they are interested in and comfortable with. I have a formula for calculating their AR grade. Basically, they get up to 100 points for reading within or near their ZPD, they get up to 100 points for their average on the quizzes, and up to 100 points as a percentage of their goal that they met. So, if they read appropriate books, scored well on the quizzes, and just didn't read enough books, they could still make a high score for AR for the nine weeks.

18. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 28, 2014

If one of my students reads a book that's not on the list, I ask them a few questions and assign points.

19. newteech

newteech Rookie

Sep 29, 2014

Nothing but black text on a white box.

Has to be one of the most UN-engaging things to put in front of a kid.