Star Reading and Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by queenie, Jul 24, 2013.

1. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I'm kind of still in shock after hearing at a SD yesterday that our county is not purchasing DIBELS this year! They said we'll be using STAR Reading and STAR Math instead of DIBELS and SMI. We used STAR Reading already, but the only thing we did with it was to have the kids take the online assessment three times a year and use the results to drive instruction and provide the kids with their reading level for AR. To those of you who are familiar with it, what else can I expect from the complete STAR Reading program? Is there a fluency element?

Also, what is the STAR Math program like? With SMI the students took benchmark tests online up to 5 times a year and the results helped determine intervention needs.

Is there more to each of these programs than just assessment?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

I have found that kids need to be watched closely while taking the STAR tests. Some of the kiddos like to click to get through it, and that of course, does not give an accurate picture.

STAR Reading doesn't really have a fluency element. It basically gives you a ballpark for AR. It makes itself harder or easier based on how students answer questions.

STAR Math was new last year, I'm hoping to learn more this coming year.

If you are involved with the Early Literacy program for STAR it is horrible. Even if the kids have taken the test before it assumes they have no idea how to use a computer and spends for-ev-er going over how to click on pictures. Helpful the first time---the other times however, the kids lose focus.

4. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I was not at all impressed with the STAR Math. It showed most my students on grade level when I knew for sure they were not. It pretty much only tests computation. Unfortunately, this will be the only assessment our K-2 will have this next year. Due to budget cuts they will no longer give the Cogat or IOWA test.

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Concerning the Star math testing, I have found that its been pretty accurate for my classes.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

Well, I really really hated the Scholastic Math Inventory because it put almost all my class in need of intervention at the beginning of the year. I honestly think it assessed them on second grade concepts BEFORE they had been taught the concepts! Also, some of the skills it suggested I work on for "low" students were upper grade skills. I really hope STAR Math is better.

7. gottateachtx

gottateachtx Rookie

Jul 26, 2013

I used the STAR Math several times this year, and my experience was similar to that of Sm2Teach; my students' STAR test scores were much higher than their classroom performance and report cards showed, and was definitely not comparable to the state test results. It's not aligned to our state standards, and most of the STAR test is computation. I had planned to send home the parent reports with their report cards, but didn't because of the discrepancy. In hindsight, I feel like it was a waste of time.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 27, 2013

So, pretty much more of the same ol same ol...ugh.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2013

I found that the STAR math seemed more accurate than the STAR reading for my kids, but we only took it twice in the spring, about 6 weeks apart. I'm interested to see how it goes doing it all year this year.

10. newteech

newteech Rookie

Dec 12, 2013

The powers that be at my school district decided to waste a ton of money on this for this school year.

The STAR Reading test has got to be the most UN-ENGAGING test I've ever seen. It's nothing but black text in a white box. No pictures, no animations, and no interaction. I know kids aren't even trying, they're just clicking answers to get through it.

Our admin thinks it's going to improve our scores on state-mandated tests. I think it's going to leave the kids burnt out and uninterested when that time rolls around.

Is this working in your district? How?

11. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 13, 2013

I don't like either one of them. We use the growth aspect for a portion of our teacher evaluation.

Traditionally,the students show a huge jump on the mid year test and then drop off at the end of the year. Some drop off so much they look like they are lower than they were at the beginning of the year. So, it appears they get much smarter/better and then lose everything plus by the end of the year.

I think part of the problem is they know when they are finished they can go on a computer game until everyone is finished so they just hurry to get it done. Second, in May we do a ton of testing between end of the year assessments and testing for the gifted and talented program. By the time they get to these two tests they don't care and are tired.
    Also, the tests are boring. I have taken them myself, and even I am disinterested after awhile. The timer is also an issue I don't like.

The kids feel the pressure because they know they only have x amount of time. Some of them panic and just pick any answer.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 13, 2013

While I do like using Star Reading to look at the class as a whole, it is a joke on the individual student level. They fluctuate soooooo much it is simply not accurate.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 15, 2013

I like two aspects of the the STAR reading: it's pretty quick and a solid predictor of how my students will do on the state tests.

It's useless for planning instruction and somewhat weak for showing progress - especially with advanced readers. A teacher should not need a fluency test if you read with your students weekly.

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

Yes! Last year I had a student who was low in math and part of my intervention group. He clicked through STAR math in 3 minutes and according to the results was on a high 3rd grade math level. There's no way this child passed with fly colors.
    During intervention group I asked him a question from STAR math and he couldn't answer it, so there you go.