STAR Math and Reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachinHicks, Jul 27, 2007.

1. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Ok...I'm going to sound silly asking this, but the school I was just hired at uses these and I am not familiar with them at all. I know all about Accelerated Reader (and have learned some about the AMath) but could somebody explain to me what this is? Thanks for the help! :wub:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

STAR READING:

The Standardized Test for Assessment of Reading, or STAR test as it is commonly referred to as, is a "computer-adaptive, norm-referenced reading test" - meaning that essentially students log on to a computer and choose the best word to complete several sentences, and this test instantly delivers their reading level. It fails to take into consideration those aspects of reading which only humans can observe and analyze, and provides a score based on a relatively low quantity of questions. If a student scores a 6.5 on this test they must choose AR books which fall at or very close to this level.

We use STAR and it is a good tool for reading level assessment, but shouldn't be the sole assessment in my opinion. At my school we use three different items to place students into their reading classes.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks...this helps to at least have a basic understanding of it. They use AR and a bunch of other types of assessment too. I can't wait for the school year to start!!! :D

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2007

You're welcome. Have fun! :)

6. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Our district recently upgraded in the middle of the year. We had to use CD's and install Star math and reading onto older Apple Emacs (Imacs...whatever those ugly things are, lol).

However in the middle of the year, we upgraded and everything went on and used a server. BUT...the issue was that the testing in the spring was messed up because of the new system. I can't explain it...but my students didnt show much growth at all over teh course of the year and I hated the fact that my 2 results were based on 2 different systems.

You can set it to time the students or not. Reading gives them a paragraph or whatever to read and then asks a general comprehension type question. Math asks basic math questions.

Each district is different in how they use it for assessment, if at all. Here, we used it to determine AR levels and also used it as a assessment to show growth from fall to spring.

The results can be skewed too. I had my students retake it three times this spring because I simply was not getting what I wanted for results. Sometimes you can use a computer lab..but if the kids get distracted, that lowers their level. If you test in the classroom...its a pain because you need it to be quiet and each student has to take the math AND reading and you personally have to give them clearance to do so.

Test test test test test test test.