STAR Autism and LINKS

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Jul 12, 2013.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

Has anyone out there used the STAR or LINKS autism curriculum?

I got a free trial of LINKS and I like what I see (it is fairly new - is a secondary version of the STAR curriculum).

I remember a while back STAR was all the rage, and then a lot of people were disappointed (from what I can remember??)

Is anyone currently using this program or has used it in the past? I am looking for feedback on how easy it was to implement (as an entire district), whether the data sheets they provide are adequate, whether the program meets the needs of a wide range of learners, etc.

Anyone?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2013

I really know nothing about the STAR or LINK curriculum, but I'm wondering how you got a free sample!

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

5. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

I've used STAR. I had the students' skills trainers do the assessments. It seemed like they took forever; then when I gave them the lessons they were insulted. (The lessons are quite basic and somewhat scripted.). I used the activities with children (with and with out autism) and really liked it because the kit provided manipulatives (concrete objects) and coordinated picture cards. I liked the kit and the data sheets. I used the kit with preschoolers and they really liked it.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2013

Thanks. I checked it out. It would be good for someone new to teaching special education. It really breaks things down.