Staples

Discussion in 'General Education' started by math_teacher, Jul 23, 2014.

1. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Hi all -

I got an email from staples today offering 25% off to teacher rewards members 8/1 - 8/3.

At the bottom of the email it said to pick up your free calendar of savings at copy & print center.

Anyone know what that is? Do you think they are going to tell us about the penny sales ahead of time?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2014

The sales vary week by week. You can go to the Staples website and look at weekly sales flyers and also check to see if there is an upcoming teacher appreciation event in your local store.

Penny sales are 'loss leaders'...they are enticements to get shoppers into the store with the hopes that they'll buy some other items while there.
    25% is a nice discount and definitely go check out the free calendar.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 27, 2014

I had a conversation with the cashier at my Staples today, and from what I understood they are doing away with penny sales. My weekly sales flyer has been listing things as "the lowest price of the season" at 15 cents, 17 cents, 50 cents, etc.

I went today and Crayola 24-count crayon boxes are 50 cents. I went today and picked up a class set for Christmas presents. And then I had a 20 % off my purchase coupon from their website, so they all came out to $10.

The limit on the "lowest price of the season" items are 30, which is much more than the penny sales.

5. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I asked my cashier yesterday about penny sales and she said she hadn't heard anything about them, so she assumed no.

She gave me a book of coupons though - there is a major coupon for every month of the year. Maybe that is the calendar it mentioned?? She said she wasn't sure if she was supposed to be giving them out but gave me one anyways :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

Staples has the limit of 30, but they will turn around and ring up another set of 30 without blinking an eye. If you really worry about that kind of stuff, take the first bags out to the car, and just go through again. So not a problem.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2014

The sales calendar is a small spiral-bound booklet with a printed calendar (too small to write anything in) and one coupon per month for things like $3 off a custom stamp, 20% back in rewards, etc. The best one is 20% off classroom supplies in January. Nothing to get very excited about.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2014

Am I missing something? Because I haven't seen ANY penny deals on my Staples ads this summer. Just the SAME "less list" items every week that are pretty good prices but not on the penny-deal level. So disappointed. :( Office Max ads have been looking good but the store is not as convenient for me to get to; I got a couple of good deals but most of the time I'm only near a store in a week when the specials are things I don't need.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2014

No penny sales this year. I'm honestly OK with it because I don't have to run to Staples every week (wasting gas!) and I don't have to spend $5 to get the penny items. Plus, no limits!