Staples will match free laminating

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BethMI, Jul 31, 2007.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I bid and then when no one topped my bid, I won the item. So I have my maps.

National Geographic maps are a special thing. Not only are they wonderfully made maps, the opposite side of the map usually has history information, info on cultures, or archeology. I like the maps for the side with all the cool info. It is a way to take what you are teaching the students, and put it on a map for them to look at. Placing the events in time and in location.

Here is one of the maps I will get, but not from this auction.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NATIONAL-GEOGRA...goryZ582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I will change them out frequently so that I keep the newest map up for the units we are working on. I am going with a travel the world theme. I have already taken vacation brochures and cut them up, and turned them into regional travel posters.......So the maps will go with the theme.

2. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

Nice!!!
    They are really full of info!
    Are you using this theme for your entire year?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Yeah, I will be. I have 6th 7th and 8th grades. So I will have stuff from so many different regions up for each class, it well, is the only theme to have.

It also will make it easier to draw connections between the region that is being studied at any given point in time and connect it to another region, well that is my hope.

I think the travel posters will stay up most of the year, I have too many to go up at once, so I will rotate them ..... I'll figure that one out as I go!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

I'll be figuring things as I go too. I am very happy to be teaching SS though!!
    I have to get rid of two old globes in the room I moved in to. They have the USSR on them!!! I guess I can keep them for students to see the new countries and the old countries but I have no up-to-date globes!!! Not Good!! I need to make my rounds in the building and find out who has a current globe they are not using this school year.

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Cool, I just called the location down the street from me, and they are taking them too! I don't *think* we have a Staples, but we do have Office Max!

I haven't even had a chance to get into my classroom, yet.. the custodians are still not done, so they aren't giving out keys yet.. so I can't remember what all needs laminating in my room.. I only ordered one poster this summer that wasn't already laminated.. so.. I guess I will wait, and make my hubby take the things in for me!:rolleyes:

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I have the same problem! The globe is so old, I think it is from the 1970's based on the state of the Africa map. I cannot find a new globe, so I think I will have to buy my own.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

Kmart has them for a decent price. (around $12). Maybe someone can point to a cheaper location. I would ask the principal to buy one with school money.

8. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

For those of you with old globes, try calling the manufacturer, and see if they ahve "update stickers" I don't know if they do or not, but they might!

It seems to me that I could sell a whole lot more globes if I offered to sell "updates" that would fit on the globes.. after a while, the updates would be too many to see the globe clearly, and they would come back to buy more from me..

seems like it couldn't hurt to try.