Staples vent!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by djmondi, Jul 8, 2008.

1. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I just got back from wasting my time at Staples. Now, I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was consistent at every Staples, but...
    because I was there YESTERDAY I cannot even get 10 folders for a penny today - I would have to pay the 10 cents for each. They are now only going to let teachers get the deal one time. Gas is too expensive to keep changing the rules.

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I would call corporate- I am fine with the limited quantities, but not the changing of the "rules". Get clarification about what their policy was.

4. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I went Sunday and Monday - didn't someone say that if you go outside, they have to let you go back in because you are a new customer? Who knows. If they don't want to HAVE the specials, they shouldn't DO the specials.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

They shouldn't be able to limit you. I worked retail for 9 years and if they reentered the store, they were entitled to the deal.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

These sales are great, but kinda a hassle. I'm sorry they won't let you. That's just awful. We're teachers, not thieves. The manager of my store is nice about it, but I can tell she's annoyed. I've bought 5 sets of 25 folders, 50 packs of pencils, and 30 binders so far. It's a little degrading (to me, at least) to be making so many trip, but you do what you have to do.

I, too, would email or call corporate. They should have these rules in writing.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

You know what I vote for?

I vote for Staples to offer a exclusive Teacher Deal each year. One day only- same rules everywhere.
    Penny sale- one visit you can get up to 100. That's it.
    Wouldn't it be so much easier on everyone?
    Let's join efforts and all e-mail them with this idea.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

Sounds pretty good to me!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I'm sorry that they are being a pain. That stinks! My staples let me buy in quantities of 25 and do separate transactions yesterday. I got everything I think I need, but I'll keep your situation in mind in case I run into trouble.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

That would make it a LOT easier.

I need to go back today or tomorrow but I'm nervous because they let teachers buy up to 25 (I needed 28 so she made two purchases). I want to get 60 yellow folders w/ prongs, hmm. Who knows if someone is going to have a different opinion about it!

11. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I could understand if they were running low on things, but they still have a TON of folders left. Even if I could've gotten the 10 green ones to complete my set from yesterday I would've have been as upset. And all I'm getting is folders - not the pencils or anything. I still have so many pencils from last year that my assistant would kill me if I bought any more of those:D I did email them to tell them they should at least have a consistent policy among stores. We'll see what they say - I don't expect too much.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I went to a different Staples today and they didn't let me get 25 of each thing...they only doubled the limit :(

I'm going back to the other one...jerks...

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

I heard that the 25 limit for teachers was a CORPORATE policy! It's a shame some stores don't let teachers get what they need.

14. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 8, 2008

How do they know you were there yesterday?

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

Mine had a door poster about Teacher Appreciation Day, this Saturday July 9. The manager said they're giving away thumb drives!

16. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

It was the same cashier I had yesterday - and she was the only one there today. If I didn't have a softball game tonight I would go back later because she can't possibly work from open to close...

17. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 8, 2008

theres always tommorow night. bring your neighbor or something. and tell them thanks for helping the children in a sarcastic way. lol. there just jellouse that they dnt have a set fuffilling career. they have to go to a stupid store evryday get paid badly and know there gonna be there for life, dumb managers

18. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 8, 2008

i got a million folders and when she rang up the last one the manager came and said its ok finish this one and dont do it again, and pulled her asaid and treated her bad and i stood up for her, i said she did it seperately, no one else is here shopping, you have a million folders, my pay isnt that good and i need these for my class. your not gonna get in trouble calm down and the manager was like ok, dnt worry about it and just told the cashier to stick to the limit

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

My brother was a manager for Staples, he would never have treated someone like that!

20. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I have to add my irritation about Staples to this vent. I went today (I was out of town yesterday and Sunday) and was going to get the folders and pencils and the rolling chair for my Reading Small Groups table. I get the items, see the shift manager and ask what the limit for teachers is, she tells me the 25, but that they have to have proof that I am actually a teacher. I said that's fine I have my Teacher Rewards Card. She says that won't do. I have to have an ID or a paystub. It didn't matter that I had teacher reward cards from 3 other places with my name and school on them as well as my PTO membership card from school. I also had a receipt from a teacher supply store that prints your name and school on each ticket. Nope, those wouldn't do. I had to have the pay stub. I said that's fine, you need to keep these items then, she could see I wasn't JUST buying $.01 things (had several other items also). I then walked out, went around the corner to Wal-Mart where I got the same chair, just not in the color I wanted. I am e-mailing corporate.

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I did a step better than e-mailing (I think) I went to live chat. The girl was highly apologetic. She also stated that the behavior of this manager was NOT corporate policy. Only the 25 limit per purchase for teachers was a corporate policy.

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

I just got back from Staples. One of the managers recognized me, and said didn't I see you yesterday? I said yes, and she said I don't blame you. :D I started to say you'll see me later today too. ;)

I'm sorry some of you are having a hard time. I don't understand why they're getting so bent out of shape. I'm sure they have tons of stuff they need to get rid of.

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Like I told the girl on the chat I wasn't trying to rob them afterall I was just going to buy folders and pencils for the students that weren't able to buy them themselves. I was buying other items also.

24. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

My closest staples origionally told me teachers limits were the same as the other customers. I was going to be in another town on Saturday and Sunday, so I checked with them and the manager said that I had to get a manager and that I coud have 25 and as long as friends/ family had one of my teacher cards I could let them use it for 25 also! I had my permanent and temporary card and my hubby bought a set on Sun, as well as me! AT THE SAME TIME!!! I went back to my local Staples and talked to a manager who said that as long as I have a card I can get what I want up to 25 PER TRANSACTION. Not per customer. Good luck with corporate!

25. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

That's ridiculous! The Staples we went to yesterday only had the double discount not 25 but they still let my hubby sign up for the teachers discount right before he paid...I don't think they even looked at his school id.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 8, 2008

Maybe the manager wants to see pay stubs to find out how much teachers make! More than them I bet!!!

27. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

I have mixed feelings about this. I just went to Staples today and got 25 folders. I really only need about 10 more. I had my 3-yr-old son with me and asked if he could buy 10 and the manager said, "no."

I was kind of miffed. But then again, I'm thinking it isn't worth it to get upset over what amounts to $1 worth of folders (if I were to pay the 10 cent price).

I do want to just go to another Staples and get the rest, but I'm worried now that if it is corporate policy that it is 25 per teacher, they could deny me and then I wasted gas because it is out of my way anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me to drive all the way out of my way to save 90 cents.

Augh.

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

1st--Staples is doing this for teachers. It is a favor. They are not making any money on it. They don't owe it to teachers. They do it for teachers. :eek:

2nd --Yes, some managers are jerks. Some are new and not informed. Some don't care, but that is not the fault of all the Staples. Every business, and even schools, have jerks working at them. Just make sure you are not the jerk at your place of business. :eek:hmy:

3rd--Also, some of the people that claim to be managers are really shift managers. They have little or no power. They are just the one who gets blamed for things when something happens when a real manager is gone. So they are not as willing to work with teachers. :confused:

4th- A good friend of mine is a manager of Staples. He hates these sales. He loses big money on these days. Teachers come into his store, take up the time of his cashiers, and only purchase the sale items. He has to have a floor manager or himself to sign off on the extra items. This takes them away from the floor to sale. Staples makes their money on the extras. You know, the extended warrantees, the extra memory on the computer, etc. His weekly sales the weeks of the teacher sale are low.

29. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

That makes sense mrachelle87. I have not had trouble buying multiple times, but I can see where it may be frustrating. I actually tried to buy something not on sale and it was twice what it said on the label. (it had been shelved wrong). I was more frustrated with that!

It is annoying though to go to a store and get 3 different answers!

30. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Hate to pour salt in your wounds, but the Staples I went to said I could get whatever quantity I wanted. I bought 60 folders, 25 pencils, 17 purells all at once. They do need to be consistent, I totally agree!!!

31. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I was more irritated at her attitude. She was highly rude, not just slightly rude, very rude. I have e-mailed corporate as well as the live chat. My complaint wasn't about the limit, it was about her attitude. I then went to Wal-Mart and bought the chair for my Reading table and the other items that I had planned to purchase. My complaint to corporate was that they needed to be consistent and also that she shouldn't have pushed me for a pay stub when I had 5 other pieces of identification (from health card, to receipt from a teacher store with school name, to other teacher reward cards with my name and school) proving I was a teacher. I guess I could have taken her to my car and she could have seen my educator license plate that you can't get unless you are a teacher.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2008

OK, teachers, Staples (actually most stores) have periodic sales where they are losing money on what they are selling- these are called 'Loss Leaders'...they are meant to bring you into the store to get the deal and then you spend money on other things. The sales are NOT set up to have teachers equip their classrooms for pennies. Ask NICELY if you can get more than the allowed amount, or bring your husband, neighbor, friend, kids to help you get what you need and 'get around the rules'. If you ask me, Staples is quite 'teacher friendly'...they have the Appreciation Day each summer (which people will bitch about as well because they didn't get enough good stuff), teachers' rewards program, and the loss leaders which do defray your costs. Be thankful, ask for what you want nicely. :blush:

33. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

That really is irritating. I have not returned places b/c of nasty attitudes, etc. Sorry, I feel your frustration.

34. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

:2up: I agree!

35. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

Boy, Staples "corporate" should read this post. If you have a disgruntled group, it's bad for business. I still say we should flood them with e-mails suggesting different purchasing practices for teachers.

36. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

How did they know?

37. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

You would think Staples would know that and either stop or get with the program - I got so much because I am from a low income and don't expect 90% of my students to bring supplies yes I got these to save me money yes but I also got other things like the drinks that they mark up and couple other little things and if they continue the sales I am sure they will get more of my money. I also think we need to take into consideration that the employees might be getting a hard time from the other costumers that don't get more than the limit.

38. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

they are a business. They don't have to give teachers anything special. Business owners spend way more money there anyway.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2008

I agree with Czacza--I can't believe the deals that are available to you that we don't have here. While I understand the frustration of inconsistencies between stores, think about the bigger picture. If you get 25 folders for .01 each and then need to pay .10 each for the others, you are still getting 25 folders for $1.25--about 3.5 cents each! The best deal I have been able to get in the past 3 years has been 9 cents each.

For those of you who are stocking up on hundreds of pencils, folders, etc., do you receive any money from your school or district for consumable supplies for your classrooms? We receive a budget per classroom to spend on consumable supplies like paper, pencils, markers, notebooks, etc. Is it expected that you absorb these costs out-of-pocket if parents don't supply the items that students need?

40. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

The assumption that it's the teachers who are being ungrateful or rude is probably wrong in most cases. Demanding to see a paystub goes beyond acceptable behavior.

The sale is appreciated. In my case, my attitude was friendly and thankful. The sales clerk was friendly. It was the manager's attitude that was incredibly rude. He knew he had overstepped the line when he told me not to come back that day "because he'd know me". He apologized when my face turned red and I didn't respond to his continuing comments.

This happened when he said I couldn't get more than the 25, and I said, "I understand. Can I go out, put these in the car, and come back in?" It was a question. Not a whine. And not said in any kind of sarcastic manner.

I e-mailed corporate for that reason. (No response.)

And went to a different Staples the next day and had a wonderful experience. Ended up buying a few more things that weren't on sale because of their attitude.

The idea that teachers are whining about the sale is wrong. It's the inconsistant policies and the disrespectful attitudes that deserve consideration.

Just my :2cents:

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 8, 2008

I went to a different Staples today and they were out of the Purell. The one I went to yesterday only had 2 left. I wonder if they purposly only stocked a very SMALL quantity or it just happened that I was too late.