Staples Teacher Appreciation Day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sharon122, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

It's tomorrow - 8/18 from 9-1 (NJ)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

Yay! Office Depot's is too. I already told me boyfriend we are getting up early to go make the rounds. haha.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

Our staples is tomorrow here in IL too.

I am not sure on Office Depot.

Office Max is next week.

5. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Yeah I know Office Depot has their breakfast tomorrow, but I was wondering if I should get there really early because here in Texas it is Tax Free Weekend and I was just thinking that there would be a lot of people there. Last year, I went and they never asked anyone for teacher id. I just don't want to get there and they've run out of things.

6. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 17, 2007

haha i told my boyfriend also.
    I will be hitting them both tomorrow too.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

ours are next weekend (staples) and the weekend after that (office depot)

8. LuvMySunshine

LuvMySunshine Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Both Staples and Office Depot are tomorrow by me (PA). We are getting up bright and early to hit both. Last year there was a long line at Staples so I'm going to try to get there before it opens, so I can get in and get out. :)

9. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Where do you find out when the days are for the appreciation of Office Depot? I checked their site and found nothing! :(

10. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 17, 2007

I'm so upset...I'm on vacation starting tomorrow. I guess a week in the sun is a good tradeoff for some supplies. I'm still bummed though.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2007

I don't know whether to get up and go. I would have to drag my kids. I have a teacher appreciation card but I'm an Aide. I like getting stuff for the classroom though.

12. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Look up the number for your local store and call them. There wasn't anything on the website! I suppose they like to keep it a secret!

13. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Office Depot's giveaways were not that great. It was the same bag they gave out last year with a folder, book cover, dry erase marker, pencil, small note pad, and Post-it index cards. They didn't even really have a good sale going on like last year. I just picked up some breakfast and left...

14. lorac

lorac Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I agree - I was disappointed with Office Depot's giveaway. Office Max's was way better from what I saw and I never got one. (Still bitter about that. LOL) Oh well - at least the breakfast was a Chick-fil-a sandwich here with a coupon for free breakfast minis for a future visit. :)

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

I went to Staples (which had theirs until 1) and came back and called Office Depot at 10:48 to find out it ended at 11:00- Glad I didn't miss anything much. Staples wasnt' all that great either, but they have 12% off everything.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2007

I went to both- Office Depot had lots of breakfast goodies and snacks, coffee as well as a canvas tote with folder, some post its, pencil or two...bought 12 pack boxes of pens for 24 cents each... Then off to Staples- less snacks (I already ate at OD!!) they had great pocket portfolios with goodies inside: post its, Sharpie, highlighter, Book Sock... I thought it was fun!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

LMBO! I think we called about the exact same time!! Maybe I called 10 min earlier. Who knows!:lol:

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

My kid would have wanted the Book Sock.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2007

I always let my sons dig through the goodies!!

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 18, 2007

Our Staples had a really nice day. Not only did we get the free folder stuffed with goodies, and a laminated school year calendar, AND a large planner, they had lots of goodies besides. There was juice, coffee, donuts, Rita's Italian Ice, and sandwiches provided by a local catering company (I had turkey, bacon, and tomato on ciabatta bread). They also had freebies from a lady that does makeup parties, a display with things from the girl scouts, and free discount cards from dominoes (the kind you buy for $5 as fund raisers). The manager was so happy, he kept saying it is his favorite day of the year, and he justs wants to put a smile on everyone's face!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

Awww...I like your staples better!

My favorite day of the year in school? St. Paddy's Day. It is so much fun watching the kids discover the mischief made by the Leprechaun. They tend to be 10 times more observant than they do any other day.

22. LuvMySunshine

LuvMySunshine Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

The cloth book covers are on sale for a penny tomorrow at Office Depot.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

Someone posted that those things ruin books. I'm still trying to figure out how.

I may just go grab some for the school store though!

24. lorac

lorac Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

The problem is that they are stretchy and if it's a big book then the cover will be really tight and could ruin the binding.

25. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 18, 2007

i went to office depot first..not much to brag about. They didn't stuff the bag with much of anything useful. Then I went to staples and they gave out a zip drive (256mb). At staples they just had coffee and cookies out. At office depot they had chick-fil-a sandwiches,krispie cream donuts,fruit salad,juices,coffee. It was alright. At one offce depot you didn't need to show your school id...but at another one and staples you had to show your star teacher rewards card.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

This happens every year- there are Teacher Appreciation days and then posters come on here and whine that the event just wasn't good enough for them!! Come on people!! It's a STORE- they are out to make money. Sure some of them do an amazing job (great snacks, zip drive, etc) but even if you get a canvas bag with a few small things in it, BE GRATEFUL. I always view the day as a 'jump start' to my school year. As I said above, I let my 2 kids dig through the goodies I get anyway- Teachers are creative and can find uses for almost anything we find or are given. Why are you bitching about 'getting the same bag as last year' or 'just cookies and coffee'????? Be THANKFUL....I'm going to use my canvas bag for tutoring. I have several of them from the past few years so I'm using the bags for separate students to fill with the tutoring things I need for each one...and a free cup of coffee!! (Dunkin Donuts coffee!!), well that just got me going for the day!!:)

27. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Here in Florida we got that same bag from Office Depot, but it also contained a staple remover with pliers, a paper clip magnetized dispenser, and one of those rubberband balls. We were really impressed much better than last year. Breakfast was fantastic!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

I had to work at my school (Sat was our first day back), but I was able to go there at 11:30. Both placers still had giveaways. I was most impressed with the coupons I got from Staples. I have until September to go back and get a free laminated calendar with my choice of photo and a free presentation binder. I am not sure what I will use the presentation binder for yet, but I will definitely put it to good use! (I was thinking maybe a math reference book with all the rules for decimal operations, formulas, fraction operations etc. ) There were also coupons for B1B1 free custom stamps and something else. One of the stores also had a coupon for a free computer tuneup (to optimize and get the dust out). I'll definitely use that. It is a $40 value.

I also asked about the free laminating to match OM and she said to bring it in with the coupon and she'd be happy to do it! :)

29. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 19, 2007

i don't think we are bitchin...I think we are comparing notes. What I wrote doesn't mean i am ungrateful because I am grateful. why does this bother you so much?

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

Why does it bother me so much? Because we are professionals, because we should be positive, because we should be thankful. How would you like your students to say 'is that all we get, Mrs. ___'s class got so much more ....' in response to your working in August to get the room ready and have folders organized or treats for your kids? We should act the way we want our students to act. We should act the way we want others to perceive us. Sharing your excitement about your experience is one thing, even sharing our down times and disappointments is helpful, but when someone (or some business) does something nice for you say THANK YOU and be grateful. Don't turn around then and say 'it wasn't much to brag about' or 'I was disappointed with the GIVE AWAY' (it's a give away afterall...) ...go back and read some of these posts- sounds like complaining to me...:(

31. svteach

svteach Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Wow the staples in Western PA didn't do it up like yours monnbeam. All they did was hand you a folder and check your id... boring.. but I'll take the free supplies

32. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 25, 2007

I think the manager at our Staples store is the reason the Teacher Day was so nice. He keeps adding things from local businesses each year. He was working the counter that morning, and seemed to be having a terrific time.