Staples... so many staples...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, May 26, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 26, 2015

I'm pulling SO many staples out of my wall and posters as I clean up my room.

Does anyone use that blue tacky putty to put up signs and posters? Is it sticky enough to stay there for the year?

3. eightiesguy

eightiesguy Rookie

May 26, 2015

I've used it before, but it seems like when the temperatures change, and therefore the humidity/moisture in the room change, then the tackiness would be effected. I've picked up posters off of the floor in my room more than a few times.

Now I use the 3M strips, and never have an issue. I used to use something called StickiClips, but I haven't seem them in years. They were basically a white plastic clip with sticki-tac on the back.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 26, 2015

The blue tacky sometimes,doesn't work on the walls. I and one classroom where it worked,great and another that it didn't work at all...duct tape and painters tape is your friend

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 26, 2015

Every end of the year I swear I am not using another staple to staple anything to a wall again. But every year I do and so every May I am pulling staples out of the wall in the hall way. I do have to say I don't have that many this year because I was very picky as to what I out up in the hall way. Or reused backgrounds when I could. #ihatestaples

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 26, 2015

I use a mix of push-pins, staples, regular old tape, and magnets. I just use whatever makes the most sense for the situation (i.e. some walls are solid and you can't staple into them, others the push pins work perfectly, etc...

(side note: I love that there was an ad for the "Staples" store at the top of the page when I loaded it...ha!)

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 26, 2015

Will those two tapes stay up all year?

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 26, 2015

Mavelous tape!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2015

I use hot glue for everything.

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 26, 2015

That's intriguing; does it come off again when you need it to?

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 26, 2015

2nd graders love pulling out staples. ..

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 26, 2015

We were required to use StickiClips at my old school - they still exist! They aren't cheap, though.

I'm about to experience the staple problem, myself...still trying to figure out a better way. My school uses a LOT of anchor charts that change with every unit. I have an entire wall that's covered with staples.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 27, 2015

We have cinder block walls - no staples. I use a combo of Mavelous tape and 3M strips. I have a clothesline on one side of the room and use that to hang several charts.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 27, 2015

I had a real easy time when I worked at a school where the P refused to let us hang anything up unless it went on a bulletin board. No staples that year!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2015

For charts that change, maybe a rigid or laminated backer about 2 inches longer and wider than the chart (or than the space that the charts occupy, if there's more than one); that attaches to the wall with 3M Command strips all year, and then you could cut corners off a stout envelope and glue them in the right places to hold the charts, like old-fashioned photo corners.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 27, 2015

I used Velcro dots for everything. Sometimes they can pull paint off, but my school would allow us to leave them up year after year, so in the fall you just had to attach the furry Velcro that was already on the back on the poster and done.

17. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 27, 2015

My current school lets us leave stuff up all summer. :haha:

But last year I was in the same predicament... I took over a classroom midyear, which had been an unused storage room prior to that year, and my god I've never seen so many staples in my life! Staples everywhere, in bizarre clusters as though the same posters had been stapled 10 times over. And we had vault ceilings, so I was climbing on chairs on top of tables to reach the high ones. Probably 80% of the staples were not even mine, but they became mine to remove. :dizzy:

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 27, 2015

How do you attach the clothesline to the wall? I thought of doing something like this because my charts are all different sizes and I love clothespins. ;)

Oooh, I like this idea! Thanks!

19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 27, 2015

Like someone said earlier...the blue painters tape is the bomb! If only I could find it here!

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

May 28, 2015

I used the 3M hooks for whatever I could. I have a friend who used hot glue. She had to rehang it a few times, same with the hooks. I did not have any problems with the 3m hooks falling this year. (She works near a river. I do not)

I did notice a teacher used hot glue to hang posters in the hall. Stayed up for several months. She used a blow dryer when removing the artwork. (Cinderblock wall)