Staples Penny Sales - Are You Still Going To Use Them?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aussiegirl, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 19, 2012

Are you still going to the penny sales at Staples even though they changed the sales so you end up paying full price up front and waiting for the rewards check?

I don't think I am. I need the savings at the beginning of the year.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

One saves money where one can.
    I truthfully don't buy much at the penny sales as my school budget and student supply list pretty much cover my classroom needs.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

I won't. While I appreciate everything that they do for teachers, I just can't afford to pay full price to supply my students. I did it in the past when I could throw down $10 and end up with hundreds of supplies. If those same items are going for full price, I won't be able to buy them anymore. It's too bad, and I understand why Staples is doing it, but I really wish they would reconsider this change. Oh well.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2012

I rarely shop at Staples, but if I do it's during the summer sales. I'm not sure if it will be "worth it" since I don't normally shop there since I find their products to be very pricey. I'll just have to wait and see if they have anything I need. :)

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 19, 2012

Well, it was announced that there will be no money for supplies this year. The school supply list is issued by the district and is too generic. Many of our kids are too poor to afford their own supplies. I often used the penny sale items to donate to the school for kids in need.

I, too, understand why Staples did it, but if they track our cards/purchases, can't they use that to keep folks from store jumping? I never did that, but can understand those who do.

Staples is not usually my first choice for supplies because, other than penny sales, they are pricey.

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

I wonder if Office Depot will do the same thing.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

I honestly don't think that store-jumping would even be that much of a problem for Staples. I mean, they've presumably planned on selling X amount of items at a penny apiece. What do they care if one person buys all their inventory? They're still selling X amount of items at a penny apiece. It might matter to shoppers, but Staples isn't really losing anything.

The Staples by me has always been very teacher-friendly and they've always let me buy more than the 25-item limit as long as I spent the $5 minimum for each set of 25. I appreciated that, especially since my classes are so huge.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2012

It depends on the original cost of the items. If it's cheap anyway, maybe. But I probably won't be as enticed by the sales. If I have to do paperwork for the rebate, I probably won't at all because I always forget to mail those things in.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 19, 2012

Probably not. I loved stocking up on pencils as my students never seem to have enough, and though my school gives us some, it's still not enough. But I just don't need that much in rewards money. So, I totally understand why they did it, but no, I probably won't buy a whole lot. May still get a handful of some items but that's it.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

Most of the penny sale stuff I buy is for my own family. As a result, I stick to the same limits as their other customers.

I usually find that I do a whole lot better at Target, where there are no limits.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 19, 2012

I don't think so- from what I understand, the items are only a penny b/c they give you the money back in store credit on your card. I typically wouldn't shop at staples since it's way higher priced than other places, so in the long run it would be a waste of money since I'd have to find something to spend the store credit on- something I'm sure I could get for much cheaper somewhere else. I will probably buy from walmart, target (I always get great stuff in the dollar bin) and the dollar tree.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2012

If it were a rebate check I'd probably still be game. I've gotten staples rebates before, they're easy. But if it comes back as "rewards," meh, I wouldn't have been spending that money at Staples anyway so I'd rather just save it somewhere else.

This is really tragic because I completely skipped the sales last year thinking that I had enough backup/leftovers and would do it this year again anyway. Turns out my backup stash wasn't quite enough after all and I was counting down until this summer's sales :(

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 19, 2012

I have a Staples rewards card, but never get my coupons in the mail. I wouldn't trust that the coupon or rebate would get to me. I totally get why they are doing it, and as a business they have every right to limit it, but I just don't trust the paperwork side of it.

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 19, 2012

Someone ought to forward the link for this discussion to Staples.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2012

This is disappointing to me! :(

17. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

Nope. I will be taking my business to the new Office Depot in the next town.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

I don't think that teachers are Staples' target shoppers in the back to school sales. They know we're on a limited budget and cannot buy anything in bulk unless it's dirt cheap.

They're aiming for the parents, the ones who will come in for those $01. pencils and buy $60 or $80 of back to school supplies. Then they'll come back next week for the $0.10 folders and spend another $30.

I think they've probably lost a lot of money over the years on teachers at those penny sales. We come in, spend a dollar, then check next week's circular so we can spend another 50 cents.

They like us and I love the teacher gifts they give out, but I think this move was all about their bottom line.

19. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jun 19, 2012

Hopefully I will be able to pricematch some Staple stuff at Walmart, (which I did last year) - if not I hope Office Max, Office Depot, and Target do penny stuff so I can price match at Walmart........ It is a bummer because I am a Head Start teacher and many supplies are not provided, we aren't allowed to have a supply list, and most families can't afford to donate items

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2012

Personally I get sucked in the same way the parents do. I never leave without spending more. lol. I probably will go this year but I will just get the regular minimum, if there is anything worth it. In a digital high school classroom, I rarely need as much as other teachers, especially for the little guys.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 19, 2012

Can you price match the .01 deals at walmart and get the teacher option to buy 25?

22. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012

I was excited about the Staples penny sale this year...not so much now.

23. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

i didn't know that Walmart would price match!!? that is good news!

I will probably just stick to the limits too.

24. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

Good point!

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 20, 2012

What a bummer, I didn't know Staples was doing that. I can't afford to wait for rebates, so I won't be going :(

26. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

So does anyone know for sure whether Wal-mart's price match policy applies to "penny deals" or such? Especially if it's not the actual price but after rewards? That is probably an easy way out for them... I bet they will say they will price match the original price now that the discount is on the rewards card :(

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

Since they are not being advertised/sold for one cent, Walmart wouldn't be likely to match that.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

They are advertised for a penny in their flier.

29. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 20, 2012

My guess s Walmart will price match up to the limit stated on the flier. The teacher limit is not posted on te flier.

30. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

I am disappointed in Staples for making this choice. Businesses need to support the schools by offering good deals for parents and teachers.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

Oh, awesome! Then surely they would. I worked at Walmart and we would have then, certainly.

32. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

Yay for Walmart then! Anyone know of other stores that price match? I don't live ANYWHERE near a Walmart. The only reason I'm excited about it is because we sometimes go on vacation near one. But that would only cover one week and no guarantees the vacation would work out on the right week...

33. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

34. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

The rewards are sent to your email address. I actually missed a couple because I have a yahoo account I use for public stuff and a gmail for close friends/family. I tend to forget to check the yahoo account. Personally, I don't mind the rebates since the majority are done online.

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

I just saw this and I think it is ridiculous. As I said before, I will probably be less enticed to shop there, realistically. But starting a petition to get them to change the policy? It's a business, not a charity. It's not their job to give you school supplies - why not make a petition to your school board or your community - I would gladly sign that one. Because it IS their job to make sure your students have supplies.

So I might not open the sale paper and say "Hey, I have to run in and get that..." but to not support a business that has supported us for so long kind of disgusts me, honestly, and it almost makes me want to shop there just to spite the teachers that would sign the petition.

36. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

The only thing I am not sure of is the penny deals are almost always Staples brand, which Walmart wouldn't sell. Would they transfer that to another brand?

37. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 21, 2012

Nope, no interest in signing the petition. It is not Staples job to pay for school supplies for classrooms. I'll miss the penny and ten cent sales but so be it.

38. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 21, 2012

I just looked it up. Walmart's matching policy states it has to be the same brand to match. So if Crayola crayons are on sale for 10 cents a box at Staples they'll match that. But if Staples brand pencils are on sale for a penny they won't match that.
    http://www.walmartstores.com/10563.aspx

39. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

I agree. Especially since it seems clear to me that they must have started the new policy in response to people taking unfair advantage of the old one. If your school budget doesn't cover enough supplies, take it up with either the school board or others whose business/project it is to support education.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

Ahhh....then no. I believe WM's policy is to price match only the same brands. Except I know they'll price match bananas regardless of brand...those were always huge price-matching items from Kroger. :p

About the petition, I would not sign it. How often do we whine about students feeling entitled? I realize teachers are ultimately doing it for student supplies, but still...it's bad PR, that's for sure. And unappreciative.

41. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

True, most of the deals are Staples brand, but there are usually a couple of items that aren't. Not always the penny deals but very worthy deals anyway. For example, one year I got great scissors on the cheap, not Staples brand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.