Staples penny deals tomorrow

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

Just wanted to let you guys know that Staples is starting their penny deals tomorrow.... yay

3. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

I am planning on being there at 10am tomorrow when it opens. I sure I will be going through their lines several times due to the limit on each item!:)

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

What are the limits on folders? Do you know? I need a bunch.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 7, 2007

I went a day early. Oops. But I only bought $5 worth of supplies so no biggie. I did ask if ours is doing the sale tmw. They are!

6. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

I think just 10 on the folders... bringing hubby with me

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 7, 2007

Oh no! I definately need more than 10 folders. In fact, last year I stocked up on 5 cent folders from there and I'm actually almost out!!

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2007

Every year I just tell them I'm a teacher and they let me buy more than 10 folders. It has never been a problem. I usually just ask the manager ahead of time so there's not a hassle when I get to the register.

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

Yay! At least out here in northern IL, the deals include:

8 pack yellow pencils, 1 cent (limit 3 pkgs)
    2 pocket folders, 1 cent (limit 10)
    slider pencil cases, 1 cent (limit 3)
    manual pencil sharpeners, 1 cent (limit 3)
    4 oz Elmer's glue, 9 cents (limit 3)
    1" or .5" flexible plastic 3 ring binders, 3 for 99 cents (limit 6)

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 8, 2007

I can find absolutely NO sign of back to school specials in my town. I asked a clerk and she had this dazed look on her face but she did say the 1 cent special started (umm..later today). Personally if they have any control over it whatsoever, they would make more money if they waited until the school supply lists actually came out. I looked at one from last year for 6th grade and it had more than I expected. Wow! Now my 3rd grader's last year list indicated the normal glue, pencils, etc.

Oh, and the list depended on what classes your child signed up for. Crapola, I don't remember! I'm sure he does though!! I hate when my child says, "umm..I think so. Yeah, I'm pretty sure...etc"

11. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Walmart is having their "Back to School" sale right now!

12. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

I am off to Staples. I am going to work my teacher charm in hopes that they will not limit me on the sale items!

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 8, 2007

I'm an Aide so I don't think that will work for me even though I tend to buy a lot of stuff for the classroom too. Why should my teacher have all the fun!

14. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

I just got back! They will allow you to buy 15 of each item at a time if you tell them you are a teacher. The manager didn't want to see my ID. The manager allowed me to make multiple transactions. I think I will be going back tonight!

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

After I went to Staples, I went to Wal-Mart and they just put up a sign that their folders were now 1 cent. They had advertised that they were 10 for a dollar but I think because of Staples, they lowered the price. The best thing is that there isn't a limit. I bought 45 but will most likely be going back! I think I just about bought out all the notebooks they had on the shelves.:p

On another note - did anyone find that Staples was "hiding" the sale items? Many people were commenting in the store because they were so hard to find!

16. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

I went to Wal-Mat and Staples today! Staples let me get 25 of everything when I told them I was a teacher!

17. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

That was such a great deal! I was able to buy 40 items of each at my Staples. I might go back later and get some more folders. :love:

18. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 8, 2007

I was allowed to get 15 of each. I got a lot of good stuff, but would have loved more. I am sure they are out now!

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

I just came back and they still had a ton of everything (except the glue). I'm going back tommorrow to get more folders. They only let me ge 15. :( I LOVE this sale, though. I must have missed it last year!

20. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 8, 2007

We are going tomorrow, I hope they still have stuff left! :rolleyes:

21. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

They will let you pay for the limit that your allowed to purchase take them to your car and come right back in to get more. I did that twice because I needed addtional folders too.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

I did that, then came back and got 15 more folders, but I went to the other cashier. Unfortunately, they were having a slow day and had only 2 cashiers. I knew I couldn't do it more then the 2 times and NO ONE in my family was going to help me. :mad:

23. mindy2137

mindy2137 Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

Is this nationwide? I don't have a staples here, but I would have to go about an hour away for it. I called to see if it was here and they are closed, I'll have to check tomorrow. If so, I need to go to Target anyway, so it would be worth the drive.

24. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 8, 2007

man...i went to staples this morning with my husband and wanted the pencil sharpeners. i asked the manager if because i was a teacher i could get more and he said NO! he said i could keep coming back though. what is the point? just let me get them all at once. so my husband and i each got 3 and then we went to a family birthday party. while there i told my parents so they came after the party and each got 3 and my husband and i went back in and got 3 more each and my dad went in one more time and got 3 more. so we now have 21. i am thinking of going back tomorrow and getting 3 more for when students move out of my classroom and new ones come in. that makes me miffed to hear that some of you were able to get 15 at once!

25. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 8, 2007

We start school tomorrow (yep, year round) and so everyone and their brother were there. The line snaked all around the store. I'll have to try another day and hope it is still in stock! Wonder if other stores would do price matching?

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2007

That's exactly what was in the circular of today's Long Island paper:D I hope to get there one day soon.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

I went in today and it was a madhouse... teachers everywhere with carts overflowing:eek:

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

It actually wasn't a madhouse here in Florida, but I went in and got 15 pencil sharpeners at each Staples that's nearby. I also got 15 folders, 6 packs of pencils, and 5 bottles of glue.

That was easy. ;)

The slider pencil cases would be nice, though. Maybe I'll check again tomorrow.

29. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

You can go to staples.com and enter in the zip code for any area and they'll bring up the current circular.

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

I was trying to decide if I should get those. I think I'll get a couple of the sliding pencil cases and stick them in my student store.

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

I just know I need something for each kid so the theft situation is reduced- or kids just stop blaming one another. It was agitating how kids from other classes- or granted, in mine- would take pencil sharpeners, pencils... little stuff at times out of others' desks. I got tired of it and want to find another plan for next year.

32. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2007

I went today and barely bought anything! I had a cart full of stuff, and realized almost none of the stuff I NEED is on sale yet! I was buying a bunch of things I didn't need that bad, just b/c it was cheap. So I put it back. I went to Target later in the day, and realized some of their regular priced items are cheaper than Staples regular priced, exactly the same items. Targets sale starts next week I think.

I did buy (not on sale) post-its that have quotation marks on the top and bottom. I'm addicted to post-its and know they have seasonal stuff that disappears quickly so I bought 3 packages. I am going to hand them out during readers workshop for the kids to write a quote from the book on!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2007

well went to Staples today... got 45 of the folders (I borrowed two kids in the store and had them go through the line for me)
    25 of the pencil cases, 25 of the pencil sharpeners, and a set of the different color pens for grading
    I then went to Wal-Mart and got 10 packs of the 12 cent crayons for kids that don't have any and a few pencil pouches to finish out homework notbooks. They were out of the 10 cent notebooks (darn it) that I use for centers so I will have to go back again.

34. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

I went back to staples with my boyfriend and got more supplies. At first one of the managers said there were no exceptions, then I told him about how I came in earlier in the day and was given the 15 item limit. Needless to say he checked with the manager that I talked to and he gave me the deal but wasn't very happy.

I did end up getting the sliding pencil cases to put my everyday math cards in. Hopefully they will fit.

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 8, 2007

I never ask for the teacher clubs etc because well...I'm not a teacher. I'm an aide. I was standing at the checkout and the cashier asked if I was a teacher. I told her what my job title was and she pushed the teacher's club application towards me. I asked what made her think to ask....I had ONE pencil case too many in my line of goodies over the limit. It wasn't on purpose! I just promised my baby a couple of them to keep him quiet!! I need more folders. Maybe I'll just get up the courage to ask just how many teachers can go over the limit with!

36. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Oh, how I WISH I had the courage! The bravery! The... the... the....... you know, the "I walk in a store and have to buy it out" syndrome.

I didn't spend much in Staples today, though, but the supplies WERE only .1!

37. Ali

Ali Companion

Jul 8, 2007

I am really surprised to hear that some of you out there were allowed to do multiple transactions! The manager at our Staples was a stickler! He did allow the limit to be 15 but no multiple transactions! In fact he made sure we used our rewards card and I am thinking that they'll know if we try again. All of the employees seemed to be disgusted with us that we wanted more of these items. I was so frustrated. If anyone is looking for the binders, Office Max has them 4 for a dollar with no limit!

38. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

My Office Max only had 20 binders and I wanted 60. Staples matched the price, and the no limit. Of course, my Staples also let me buy as many of the 1 cent items as I wanted.

39. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 9, 2007

my staples was verystrict about the limits. I am going back tomorrow to get more. It's so hard when you teach upper elementary because our class sizes are so much larger than the primary classes.
    IMHO I should be allowed to buy 35 because in reality I am buying for 35 customers!!!!

40. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

My Staples wouldn't budge on the limit (3) and the binders that were supposed to be $.99 were actually 1.59 or something like that.

I bought everything else that was really cheap except for the little pencil sharpeners (I dislike them intensly). I'm going back tomorrow for more and to return a few impulse buys that I later discovered were cheaper at both Target and Walmart.

41. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2007

Woohoo! I got 40 folders for 40 cents! Gotta love it. I just went and asked a cashier before I got them if I'd be able to get more than 10 since I was a teacher. She said no exceptions but that my (almost) 2-year-old that I had with me could buy 10. :) Then she said she could ring up multiple transactions. So I brought 40 with me to the register and she rang them up 10 at a time no problem. My son kept handing her dimes.

I also got an impulse buy - an EASY button. I've always wanted one. I was a bit disappointed in myself, though, because I planned to only get the folders. You know the only reason they can sell them for that price is because they know most of us will spend more money on stuff we wouldn't have come in to get!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.