Staples/Office Depot Teacher Appreciation Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Aug 1, 2009.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Has anyone gone to one yet? I am trying to find out what they are giving away this year to see if it is worth it to go.

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 1, 2009

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

I went this morning. We got a shopping bag with a lot of "stuff" in it. A 3" binder, 2 small lined pads, pushpins, colored paper clips, colorful binder clips, dozen pencils, invisible tape, a grade/plan book...that's all I can remember. Of course, they also had breakfast and door prizes (I didn't win any of them). There was a short line to get in at 9am. I left after the door prizes, around 10, and they only had a few bags left of the 100 they were planning to give out. If you have to drive really far, it's probably not worth it, but if you have one fairly close it's worth a visit.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Was this Office Depot or Staples?

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

Staples...didn't make it to Office Depot.

7. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Aug 1, 2009

The one for the Houston area is August 15th at Staples
    Office depot is the same day :(

8. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I went to Staples, tooo. We got a pencil box iinstead of a binder...lots of people were waiting, too!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

Office Depot in my area is having Teacher Appreciation Week next week (Aug. 5). Office Max is having T.A. Day on August 9. Sadly, we don't have a Staples!

10. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

Went to both Staples and Office Depot (they are in the same shopping center). Staples we got the pencil box instead of the binder also and we got a calendar instead of a planbook. Office depot gave away bags and 256K jump drives that contain a PDF file of coupons that you can use during September.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

Here's my yearly 'take' on the Teacher Appreciation Days: NO WHINING ALLOWED... Please keep in mind when shopping the penny sales and 'free' teacher item events, that what they are given away/selling cheaply are called 'loss leaders'. These products are sold at a low price (at cost or below cost) to stimulate other, profitable sales. Yes, we all love the freebies and penny items, but I think it's important to be thankful (I always thank the people working at the store for the event) and to support the store through other purchases during the sales/events and during the year. I think it's awfully ungrateful, especially in this economy, to complain about what kinds of snacks and promotions are offered at such events...it's amazing that stores still have them. I know most of us are aware of this, just my:2cents: (I was a marketing major in my former life!!) Not picking on anyone, just a caveat...be GRATEFUL!!

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

I don't believe anyone was complaining. I had fun, loved my stuff, said thank you to the employees...they were having as much fun as the rest of us. I also purchased some things while I was there (I was a media buyer in my past life, I know all about loss leaders). All I said was that if you had to drive a long way to get there, it probably wasn't worth the trip...with gas as expensive as it is, why drive 30 or 40 miles for a few freebies. Sorry if I offended you, but I don't think anyone on this thread was whining or being negative.

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I ended up spending almost 80 dollars since I needed ink for my printer (haven't bought any since last year) and a few other things. I always thank the staples here because the manager dealt with a very rude clerk one time and realizes how often I am in how much I spend (embarrased to say how much sometimes).

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

My sense is that czacza wasn't suggesting that anyone had done any complaining in this thread. In past years, however, there have been complaints about some events--that the refreshments were not good enough, that the store ran out of certain promotional items, or that the freebies were "cheap", not plentiful enough, and "not worth the visit". The message is that we should be grateful for any deals that are offered, and that we shouldn't expect to be given huge amounts of free or discounted merchanise.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

I remember that, and I appreciate czacza's trying to stave off the complaints before they occur.

Well, happy for me, my Staples event is a week before my OD event, so I can go to BOTH!
    Kim

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

17. caslan

caslan Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I found this thread helpful, because I was on the fence about going b/c I have to drive 25ish miles... I ALWAYS manage to find something else I need when I am in Staples, so I wanted to make sure it would be worth getting up early and driving over there to stand in line :) Otherwise, I would just go another day! Thanks!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks, Mrs C!! :love:That's exactly my point...hence my comment that I wasn't picking on anyone, just offering a caveat!! :wow:

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I should go to all 3 of my stores' teacher appreciation days: Staples, OfficeMax, & Office Depot. They're all on different days w/ the 1st one on Aug 8th. I know, I say this now & don't end up going to any of them! :)

What's strange is, none of those stores in the past has ever asked for proof that you're a teacher, so all kinds of people who happen to be there that day can get free stuff!

20. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Got an email today from office max, it says teacher appreciation day is Sunday for my area and they are giving away reusable bags and 15 % off everything you can fit inside the bag. To Bad I don't have any money to spend.

21. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I love the Staples event in our area. The freebies are great ( I am grateful for anything), the treats are super (I think they get better every year -donuts, coffee, sandwiches, fresh fruit), and the employees are friendly. The other thing I love about Staples is their $3 for ink cartridges program. I had a gallon ziplock bag full of them, because I always forgot to take them along. I started keeping the bag in my car, and everytime I drive by Staples, I dropped off 3. Right now I have 2 coupons worth $27 each to spend there. Now I just have to decide what to get!

22. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Do they keep track of which ones you go to? Like I will be in LA this weekend but back in Texas in time for mine. :)