Stanford 10

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by DESimmons, Mar 21, 2009.

1. DESimmons

DESimmons New Member

Mar 21, 2009

We just recently found out that our district is switching from Terra Nova to Stanford 10 this year. We have been giving the Terra Nova for several years and have used test prep materials geared toward the Terra Nova this year. Can anyone tell me what to expect on the Stanford 10? We are giving the test in 3 weeks (one of those weeks is Spring break) so there is no time to order new materials. Any help would be appreciated.:)

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

I have never heard of either.

4. daizey

daizey New Member

Apr 9, 2009

I too am looking for inforamtion on the stanfored. i have found some great test prep but not stanford specific. i am mainly looking for the topics covered at the first grade level

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

I hate the SAT 10 (at least the fifth grade version). It's like a shot in the dark---you are just hoping you've taught your kids everything that is on it. Our other state test, the ARMT, is directly lined up with our objectives and it is reasonable in its questions. The SAT is much more difficult and VERY HARD to prepare fifth graders for. Maybe the first grade version will make more sense.

6. old n new

old n new Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

I taught 2nd grade last year and we gave the Stanford 10. Our first grade does not take it though. The second grade test is a lot of vocabulary and reading. Some of my kids had a hard time with parts of the test. There were a lot of questions with pictures or terminology that my kids were not familiar with. For example, we are in Nebraska and there were questions with a ship's mast, a harbor, seaweed, etc. In Nebraska, we don't see a lot of those things. Also, some of my slower kids had a very hard time finishing up in the alloted time.

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I just gave the Stanford 10 to my 1st graders. There is a lot of a lot on that test, and it's impossible to prepare them for every part of it. There are time allotments, but they stress at the 1st grade level that they are to work until done, no matter how long. Tests take between 30-50 mins to finish in normal working conditions [although I had one who took 2.5 hrs for the reading comp. :) bless her heart... ]

Sections are (1st grade version) Word Study Skills, Word Reading, Sentence Reading, Reading Comprehension, Math Problem Solving, Math Procedures, Spelling, Environment, Language and Listening. Most sections are dictated by the teacher, question by question. Reading Comp, and Math Procedures both have the students doing large parts of it on their own.

I know my biggest surprise was that most of the math procedures questions use double or triple digit addition (no regrouping for the most part) and double digit subtraction.

I can tell you more if you'd like. Check with your admin to see if they can get you a copy of the "guide for parents" before hand for the Practice Assessment. We have both and I found those as helpful to me as the parents & the kids my first go around.

8. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

PS-My mom also gave her kids the 1st grade version(different area of the state & I'm private, she's public), but they did the limited test (which she said focused only on Reading & Math)