Standards vs. Curriculum?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

In Ontario, the "what" of our teaching is outlined by the curriculum expectations (standards) set out by the provincial Ministry of Education. For each subject area, we are given both overall (general) and specific expectations of what we need to address. How we address these is completely up to the individual teacher. Textbooks, language anthologies, etc are available, but their use is not mandated. One "difficulty" some teachers who rely on textbooks discover is that the standards (or ministry expectations) and textbooks don't "match". For example, with math, the textbook may contain concepts that the students aren't required to learn, and omit others that are required.

My question is: How closely do your texts and/or curriculums which are provided by your school district (e.g. reading curriculum) align with your state standards?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2009

Here's the way it has been explained to me....

In Texas and California there is a big enough market that the textbook companies tend to make books to align directly with the curriculum in these two states. Most other states have to tend to make do with what is left over. Yes, they match in a lot of ways but they aren't as tailor made.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I'm not sure...we don't use texts books in 1st grade at my school. But the teacher editions do reference exactly which standard is being met in each lesson/chapter.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

The newer textbooks are all Georgia editions. They are aligned.

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

As others have articulated, our World History and US History textbooks are specifically the "Illinois Edition", and before each section the state standards are even listed.

That said, for my government class, I don't have such a book. Therefore, I end up going through my state standards and selecting portions of the book to use, and portions of the book to skip. I will often skip entire chapters in our government textbook because they aren't linked to our standards (and I don't have the time in a semester long course to hit extra topics too often).

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

Not much at all. In Western Civ. I end up skipping around alot in the book, as we were approved by the state to cover European History, not World, so thats what we need to do. I have to do a TON of supplementation with my own readings with text, in addition to activities/projects and worksheets.

For US History, the textbooks for both Honors/CP and AP both touch upon all the required standards, but often times not in enough detail. This lack of detail often requires me to supplement with my own readings.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Even though I teach in Texas, I don't think our textbooks match the standards very well. I usually have to supplement quite a bit.

9. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

In BC we have "Grade Packages" whereby the textbooks cover a huge portion of the curriculum (and publishers know that they want to be certified under the ministry, like the Trillium list) but also have additional resources that make up the slack. Overall, we are given all the information we need about resources to teach every PLO (prescribed learning outcome).

10. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

There are also often many times that the textbook companies include standards that are below or above grade level and so don't necessarily align with the grade level standards.

I have heard, and I'm not sure how accurate this is, that the textbooks are not actually based on the standards but are written with California, Texas and New York in mind. Then, the company takes the books and aligns the standards to them, but they might not have been actually based off of each state's particular standards.