standards based report cards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by chrissy1214phx, Oct 4, 2013.

1. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Oct 4, 2013

new teacher here and just completed first quarter report cards. we give out F,A, M, E scores in second grade... to me meeting the standard is almost doing perfect work, I feel like I gave out alot of approaching and feel like I could have done a better job at assessing, etc. My kids are very low and most can read at a first grade level. They don't teach you much about report cards in college or give you much guidance in the school... does anyone else struggle with this?

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Oct 4, 2013

I hate report cards for that reason!

Remember it is the first quarter and kids are always working toward that standard...approaching is appropriate at this point!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 4, 2013

I typically give a lot of 'approaching' scores for the first report card, too. It's the beginning of the year and most students are 'approaching' - very few are actually meeting and some are below approaching.

I also think it's better to err on the side of conservative when giving scores on report cards. I'd rather give a lower mark and then show progress than say a child can consistently do something they actually can't. It's hard to explain what appears to be regression to parents.

5. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Oct 5, 2013

thanks I am feeling better now...............

6. Appmaker28

Appmaker28 Rookie

Oct 7, 2013

I tell all my parents at open house that for the first report card their child is going to get a lot of 1's and 2's. The important part is to focus on the growth between quarters. Does your school or district have set rubrics of the standards? We were luckily enough that we had a great administrator who let us set up established rubrics for scoring on the report card. It made assessing a lot easier because based on the assessment we knew exactly what the score on the report card is. If you would like some examples all our assessments and rubrics are on the website www.commoncore.webnode.com.

7. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 8, 2013

Remember you also want to show growth. My rule of thumb is that if they are on the bubble between two grades, I go lower. I'd rather be cautious and show their growth then have to give them a lower grade in the next quarter for not improving.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2013

I'm currently working on a committee who are spending a year realigning our report cards to be more standards based. There will be a rubric for each benchmark on the report card for each trimester.:thumb: