Standards-Based Grading

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

At the school where I'm working as a long-term sub, they use standards-based grading. The grades are: 4-exceeds standard, 3-meets standard, 2-is close to meeting standard, 1-does not meet standard. I'm just curious about now others who have used this type of grading feel about it. Everywhere I've ever gone to school or student taught used letter grades so this is very new to me. At least with letter grades I know that 97-100% is an A+, 93-96% is an A, etc, etc...but with the standards-based grading I don't have any percentage guidelines. It all seems so subjective. I was told that no one usually gets a 4's because that would be exceeding the standard. I can understand that. I was grading math papers yesterday, though, and when a child got 4 out of 20 wrong (would be a grade of 80%) I gave him a 3-. The regular classroom teacher (who hasn't left on leave yet) said that she would give that a 3, not a 3-. I feel like there's no real "science" to it and that I'm just deciding whether or not I feel the student has met the standard....but what constitutes meeting the standard? Less than half of them wrong? haha Anyway, how do others feel about this type of grading?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2005

Sounds to me like what you are doing is not standards based grading, just translating A,B,C,D,F to 4,3,2,1.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

No, it's not. If it was it would be quite a bit easier for me. The numbers are not based on percentages and no one gets 4's...so a 4 would not be consistent with an A and a 3 really isn't either. As I stated above, if a student got 16/20 correct (80% or a B-) that would be a 3, but if another student got 20/20 correct, they also get a 3....which confused me.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 1, 2005

I think it depends on the schools rubric on how they meet those standards. The two schools I have worked at use the same type of scores.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

I've seen the rubrics, and they are relatively vague. I'm just not sure how many they need to get wrong before I decide that it's a 3- or a 2 rather than a 3. It just seems silly to me that a student that gets all of them correct gets the same grade as someone who got 4 or 5 of them wrong.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 1, 2005

I guess our rubric is different. It laid out they had to have this this and this to get a 3, and this and this to get a 2, and so on.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, that's the way I set up my rubrics when I do writing assignments and things like that. It makes it really cut and dry and easy to grade.

9. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

We use gradings 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 over here, but it's different from the one you described. Our grading is basically the correspondence to your letter system F, D, C, B and A (I think!).
    What a confusing grading you have...

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

It is very confusing. I just feel like I'm guessing when I'm writing the grades. I just don't like deciding if I think they met the standard. I mean, what constitutes having "most" of them correct or having "some" of them correct?

11. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

How silly! So I guess 4 is for God?:D

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

Apparently! haha I guess no one else is allowed to exceed the standard.

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

I had that same scale where I student taught. I actually liked it once I got used to it. We did give out 4's though...basically for the students who were exceeding grade-level expectations. My school I am at is considering switching to standards based grading.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

I don't necessarily have a problem with the grading system. I just wish it was more concrete and less subjective. How did you decide whether or not the standards were met where you student taught? Did you have specific percentages?

15. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

The subjectiveness was the hardest part for me too. I guess I figured if they were where I thought they should be (at that point in time) they earned a 3. If they were no where close they got a 1. Anywhere in between would be a 2. We did have a rubrics for each grade and for the subjects and standards that they went with.

I thought it would be easier with percentages too, but then it defeats the purpose of standards based grading, I guess. ;) Plus, the rubrics were pretty easy to follow. I just kept telling the kids and the parents that a 3 is really what they are aiming for. :)

16. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

I can send you a link to the rubrics if you would be interested in seeing them.

17. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

Beth,
    We have the same thing here, and hate it. It actually came up at a staff meeting today (our wording is different, basically 4 is can do it independently, 3 is practicing-stupid wording, 2 is able to do it with teacher help and 1 is area of concern). We were trying to put %s with the numbers, but it is SO hard! They won't do 1-5 because then that is like A-E and we don't give "Grades." It is very subjective, as you said, which makes it so difficult, and what one teacher thinks is a 3, another (in the same grade level) may call a 2. Plus, what may be a 2 for one child, could be a 3 for someone who really struggles but works his butt off. I don't know what to tell you, we spent quite a bit of time on it today and got nowhere!:confused:

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

I guess I just have to get used to it. :)
    I think my biggest issue right now is that the kids just got report cards last week so I'll be doing all of the grades for the next report cards that come out in Feb.(I think?). At least with percentages I could say....there were 7 wrong, therefor he/she got this grade. You know what I mean?

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

practicing-stupid wording?:eek:

20. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

You're definitely right. You have to be able to back up what grade you give out.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2005

I am confused. How can you have "standards based" grading and have one child get a 2, and another a 3, for the same result?

22. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

I think math was probably the hardest thing to grade standards-based because most stuff is a percentage. Reading and things for me were a little easier.

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

I guess I just feel like I'm being to "easy" with the grading. I don't feel as though a child that missed 5 or 6 out of 20 should get the full number of points. It seems silly. That's the way she grades, though and already corrected one of my 3- grades.

24. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

Did you agree or disagree? I just fell like they are all practicing! My opinion. :)

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

They don't get a different grade for the same result. What I said was that there are different results (one child having no errors, and one child having 5 errors) and they still get the same grade.

26. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

It's the word "stupid" that sounds strange to me.:confused:

27. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

I agree that "practicing" isn't good word choice for a rubric. You're right, they are always practicing!

In my opinion....;)
    I feel like a 4 is exceeding 3 work and done independently. 3 work is fluent in a skill. 2 work is fluent in some of the skill. 1 is fluent with none or the basics of a skill.

28. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

Beth-

In most cases...if there were 20 questions on an assignment and a kid got 5 or 6 wrong...I would give them a 2.

It really depends on if it is all the same skill, etc.

What would you give them?

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

One of the children got 4/20 wrong and I gave him a 3-. The regular classroom teacher said that she would call that a 3. It ended up being changed to a 3.

It was all the same skill.

30. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

Ohhh...I don't know if we were able to give out minuses or plusses. :confused:

31. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 1, 2005

Don't you have an explicit criteria to help you decide the grade? A different grade may be given depending on which questions are wrong, and not only on how many are wrong...am I right or wrong assuming this?

32. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Dec 1, 2005

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking...but I would give up to several grades on an assignment depending on how many standards (skills) I was assessing on the assignment. We had detailed criteria and rubrics to go with each standard.

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 1, 2005

This is what the rubrics look like:
    4th Grade: Progress 4 Exceeds Grade Level Standards Understands all concepts taught. Grasps, applies, and extends key concepts, processes, and skills with great ease. Can locate information, use resources, and apply knowledge to solve problems. Can produce related products that are unique and demonstrate in-depth thought. Errors are infrequent and minor.
    3 Meets Grade Level Standards Understands concepts taught. Regularly demonstrates proficiency in the majority of the standards. Produces organized work demonstrating a high degree of thought. Grasps and applies key concepts, processes, and skills with limited errors.
    2 Approaching Grade Level Standards Understands some concepts taught. Beginning to grasp key concepts, processes, and skills. Produces work that is still not yet within the expected standards. Errors are evident.
    1 Below Grade Level Standards Consistently needs help understanding concepts. Has difficulty applying knowledge. Produces work that is poorly organized and errors are frequent and major.

Unfortunately, they're not assignment-specific.
    We also may have several grades on one assignment if there are different concepts being evaluated.