Standards-Based Grading in a traditional percent-based system?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Sep 27, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 28, 2018

You know, you could probably make an Excel sheet that you could do all the converting for you. You would just have to define how the 4-point scale translates to percentages. Or do you already use software for this?

2. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 29, 2018

Once you determine, say, a student is at a 3 level, how do you then distinguish whether it is 3, 3-, or 3+? The nice thing about a rubric with only three or four scoring categories is that it allows for me to be very objective. Introducing the + and - marks essentially turns four scoring categories into twelve, and I cannot imagine myself being able to objectively distinguish between them. What am I missing?

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 29, 2018

Hi Jim,

When we started doing this, we did a lot of co-marking and there was a lot of dialogue. So I would say what you are missing is lived experience. That being said, if a 4 point scale works for you that's awesome.

I always find that within say "meeting expectations" there is a range. So I have some students who on a specific objective I feel are between a 2 and a 3 but closer to a 3 and some students who I feel are between a 3 and a 4 but closer to a 3. If I use just a 4 point scale then I have students who are a low 3 and a high 3 with the same grade. So you are right, we are really using a 12 point scale but I think of it more as 4 standards with a gradient.

This type of grading requires that we accept that our grading is subjective. We already know this as a system. There is lots of research that shows how everything from bias to how tired I am when I grade impacts my grading, so I know that if I use a 4 point scale, a 4 point scale with a gradient, a 12 point scale or a 100 point scale there is subjectivity. I feel with practice that my marks tell kids more (like proficient, exceed expectations, etc) on a 4 point scale (with a gradient) than they did with a 100 point scale and the focus of conversations with students is now around the standards not "points."

But when we started this we did have lots of conversations about what professional judgement means and getting comfortable with this as a grading model.

4. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 1, 2018

I've been wondering the same thing lately. We grade with letter grades and percentages, but our admin is constantly talking to us about ensuring that grades reflect mastery of content. Our grading is 50% tests/projects/essays (all weighted at 100 points) and 50% daily work (each assignment is 100 points, but we can "weight" assignments at 1-5). We are required to have 2 grades in the gradebook weekly and 1 test every 3 weeks.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 1, 2018

I LOVE the idea of grading for mastery. But I don't love the extra work that comes with the methods I've seen locally. I've also wondered how the 4 point scale translates to percentages. I'm in high school where percentages are very important to colleges and other institutions.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 1, 2018

This seems contradictory to me. In my opinion "daily work" is not a good indicator of mastery. "Daily work" is progressing and improving. Mastery is demonstrated on the tests, projects, and essays, yet they only weight this at 50%?

7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 1, 2018

2ndTime I also work in a place where percentages are important in a high school but done well mastery grading is in my opinion as (if not more) accurate than the way we have traditionally graded in percentages.

8. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 1, 2018

To me, the 4-Point scale for grading individual questions makes it a lot easier, provided I have a rubric already in mind for what meets E, P, and I criteria for each question. It shifts my mindset from, “For what mistakes will the student lose points?” to, “What evidence will the student demonstrate to prove mastery of the concept?” In the end, though, the 4’s are just glorified point values, so the student still ends up with a traditional percentage correct out of the total.