Standards Based Curriculum...oy

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by juc162, Sep 30, 2007.

1. juc162

juc162 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Hi everyone, I'm a first year teacher and have been having my fair shar e of headaches already this year.

I work for a charter school which has adopted a standards based curriculum. This is really great in theory, however, we don't have the appropriate curriculum (aka textbooks) to support our standards. We use Open Court for reading which isn't too bad even though there are discrepancies. For math we have Everyday Math which doesn't match a lot of our standards. For social studies, in 4th grade we're supposed to be learning about native americans and our textbook is all about different states in different regions of the country. I find myself supplementing so many materials because of this making countless copies.

The school provided a box of copy paper to each teacher at the beginning of the school year but I am running very low already because I am making so many copies all the time. For a while, the copiers would break all the time as well. Thank heavens we just got 2 new copy machines.

I was struggling the most with classroom management at first but that is much more in control now. My struggle has now shifted to planning. With no curriculum in place for me to follow, all I have are "curriculum maps" the school district has created. However, these maps are broken down into 3 or 4 week units depending on the standards they meet and are hard for me to follow.

How are you other teachers planning for your weeks? Can anyone give me some tips? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

3. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

If the curriculum maps are well done, then they should place emphasis on the "power standards," or standards that are most important for the student to grasp the overall goals of each subject.

The way that I plan is to look at each block within the curriculum guide, develop the learning goals of the block, and then create my activities around that goal. Also, think "into, through, beyond." (a little throwback technique for you) What do you want the highest students achieve (beyond), the bulk (through), and the basics (into).

My experience is that the standards are basically the same as the old curriculum, just organized a little differently. Open Court is a pain to match to these standards. I did it in CA a few years ago for 5th grade. It's not as cohesive as the newer textbooks that are mapped to the standards.

db

4. juc162

juc162 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

The curriculum maps at my school were done just this past summer so there is a lot of tweaking that needs to be done still. As someone who did not participate in the creation of these curriculum maps, I have a hard time understanding how in depth or specific I am supposed to go. I really like your into, through and beyond idea. Thank you!

Open Court really is a pain but it's nice also because I don't have to provide supplemental copies of all the stories!

Thanks for you input :)

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 1, 2007

Which edition of Open Court are you using?

6. juc162

juc162 Companion

Oct 1, 2007

Level 4? It's purple for 4th grade. Is that what you mean?

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 1, 2007

The standards are your curriculum (NOT the textbooks). You may have to create your assignments instead of relying on textbooks. The internet is a great resource. Hands-on projects are great for students to get in-depth with topics, and they don't require copies. What are other teachers in your building doing to teach their material?

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 2, 2007

Is it Open Court 2000, 2002, or 2005?

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 2, 2007

Except those of us who teach Open Court as a mandated program.:down: In this case, the textbook is our curriculum. We must center everything around the Open Court Units and we must do and say exactly what it tells us to do and say. If I could create my reading assignments my students would learn a lot more!!! Luckily for all of the other subjects we are allowed to create our own lessons based on the standards.

10. juc162

juc162 Companion

Oct 2, 2007

I believe it's 2002. It's really hard and the curriculum maps would be a much bigger help if they were specific enough. We only really have the first drafts of them.