Standardized Tests

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 11, 2008

What type of things do you use to help get your 5th graders prepared for standardized tests (CA teachers especially). I've used a few things, but this is my first year teaching and I want to make sure I fully prepare my students for the STAR test. Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2008

Encourage them to think about why one answer makes sense and the others make less sense?

4. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

Our grade level does daily reading and math warm-ups. They are both timed tests and we've seen some postive results based on our AIMS Web scores.

We do weekly problem solving problems. On Monday they are assigned a problem. It must be solved by Wednesday. Wed AM we go over it. They must have it explained, step by step, by Friday. Friday AM we review the steps together.

We also always remind them of various strategies such as thinking which answer sounds best, crossing out responses that are not possible, etc.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jan 12, 2008

We do daily warmups in test format to practice strategies. We go over them together so I can model how students should find key words in the question, show their work, etc. I also send kids up to the overhead to show how they solved their work... I send students who make mistakes, too, so the other students can try to fix the error. My kids know that just circling the correct answer is not an option- they have to prove why they eliminated the other choices.

6. kkrosesmom

kkrosesmom Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Review, review, review! We do daily reviews of mixed skills in language and math. I also have students keep notes thrughout the year on skills. Before the test I have students review notes and highlight areas they see themselves as strong and ones they need more help with. Then I have them pair up and explain things to each other using personal whiteboards. They love this activity. Any skill that is not met here is done as a class. Also, I don't know what your school budget is, but there are excellent review books by Buckle Down Publishing. They are state specific and a big help! The website is www. buckledown. com. Happy testing!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

Is there a website where you get these from? If so, what is it? :thanks:

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2008

*after school tutoring
    *specials area teachers choose a high risk or bubble student to work with for mentoring/reviewing a skill
    *business partner liasons,two ministers, lots of volunteers will be coming in to help with tutoring (starting in about two weeks)
    *lots of individualized instruction in January, Feb., March, April
    *go over the standards again to make sure everything is being taught
    *give a mid-year assessment in math and language arts to find weak areas
    * make lists of students and lists of tutors and lists of needed supplies and lists of available supplies
    *meet in teams, meet in groups, meet after school with leadership, meet with parents
    *pray
    *stress relief for teachers in the form of eating out, going to the movies, playing games at each other's house, sharing good massage therapists, increasing the dose, talking teachers out of quitting, crying, laughing at stupid things

9. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

We do quarterly assessments in communication arts. Honestly, my kids don't do their best, so I'm very interestd in this thread. I asked my kids to rate their effort in their tests, and the average was a "3." I'm terrified about this spring's state tests. I'm a first year teacher, and I don't want to lose my job over lazy children. I'm running out of ideas. Good luck.

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

BTW, the scale students rate themselves on is 1-5.

11. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

We also do something called "Study Island" that is aligned to state standards.

http://www.studyisland.com/

This is for MO standards, but maybe there is something that is similar for your state? My kids owe me a quiz/week. They must be profient to pass or they get worksheets until they pass.