Standardized Testing not Waived

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.history, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 6, 2020

otterpop likes this.
  3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 6, 2020

I expect this decision to be revisited in approximately four and a half months, give or take a day.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 8, 2020

The current federal test-and-punish program started during the GW Bush admin, ratcheted up during Obama and now is in high gear during Trump. It was supposed to improve outcomes and close the achievement gap. It hasn't worked for 20 years.

Time to start programs recommended by science. Let's hope this madness is over in 4.5 months.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2020

I just can't get over how much these tests are still being pushed, given our current circumstances. Many such tests didn't get taken last year, and yet students still managed to function and learn. Shock!

I believe that the testing companies have lobbyists and make tremendous efforts to pitch to politicians who don't understand Education. I also really and truly believe, however crazy it may sound, that there is a focused, deliberate, intentional effort on the part of some people with serious power to dismantle the entire institution of public education. It's the only explanation for policies that punish schools for serving poor children.

whizkid likes this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 9, 2020

To me all of these tests are useless. Students could just mark C on everything and be done with it. Waste of time.

whizkid and Caesar753 like this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2020

Yes, we already heard that we will be going ahead with testing in the spring. My special education students do alternate testing on a computer and most of them don't even understand the questions so they just pick any answer. It's really a waste of time.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2020

One year I had a child in my SPED class who was quite a bit below grade level. He was in 5th grade and had finally become toilet trained, couldn't read, spoke very little. He was absolutely one of the sweetest children I have ever taught. My students were still required to take the standardized test and the only accommodations I could give were to read the math and science questions to them. (this district had a crazy rule that said only one percent of SPED children could take an alternate assessment and the lists were done alphabetically by school...my school was way down on the list so the district reached that 1% amount way before my school came up on the list)
    Anyways, this child spent his test time bubbling in answers to form the prettiest pictures. He was quite an artist and still managed to randomly score 25% correct.

CaliforniaRPCV and Tired Teacher like this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 9, 2020

It doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I have watched policies made that have led to the deterioration of many public schools in this area. I won't go in depth b/c it'd PO some people. Also, it is too hard to explain it w/out hearing voice tones. If I had to guess, I'd say the public schools in my area will be gone in the next 20 years. The only kids left now who attend are ones whose parents want or need a babysitter. Most parents do not have jobs in the school I worked. When I first started teaching, teachers were respected for the most part. Having had more time this yr to read, I am appalled at how many people online negatively view public school teachers. It is sad, but many schools have moved so far from academics.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 9, 2020

We did our preliminary testing this week for state standardized testing. Ugh. Terrible isn’t the word for it.

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 12, 2020

It is truly all about money.

Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 12, 2020

[QUOTE(this district had a crazy rule that said only one percent of SPED children could take an alternate assessment and the lists were done alphabetically by school...my school was way down on the list so the district reached that 1% amount way before my school came up on the list)
    [/QUOTE]
    This is not a crazy rule in your district. It is a federal guideline. Just FYI.

mrsf70, bella84 and a2z like this.
  13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2020

This is not a crazy rule in your district. It is a federal guideline. Just FYI.[/QUOTE]
    There's that. :)

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2020

There's that. :)[/QUOTE]

I know it's a fed rule. My problem with it is the way the rule was applied in the district. All schools should have had equal access to the 1%.

Backroads likes this.
  15. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Sep 12, 2020

She'll be gone in January. Hallelujah........

16. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 12, 2020

I know it's a fed rule. My problem with it is the way the rule was applied in the district. All schools should have had equal access to the 1%.[/QUOTE]
    Indeed. This sounds insane!

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2020

I don't think your district did it properly, but I also do not agree all schools should have equal access to the 1%. Access, yes; equal, no. It should all be based off of the student's need. So, some schools will have less need. The example in my district, which may not be the same in yours, is that we cluster children with more disabilities to specific schools in order to bolster the services they receive. Rather than having the 5 students spread across 5 schools, they are in 1 which means they may need 5 slots but the schools they came from need none.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2020

You explained it better than me. I want every school in the district to have access to the accommodations if they have students who qualify.

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 13, 2020

They definitely should. This would never hold up in court. Ridiculous!

20. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 15, 2020

I too am in Georgia and have heard other teachers upset about this. I told them that if said right now that they are cancelling tests for this school year, they could not go back on that decision if things happen to return to normal. However, if it appears necessary they can cancel the tests once it gets closer to test time.

On a side note, who knows if Betsy DeVos will still be secretary of ed after January

Tired Teacher likes this.
  21. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 16, 2020

MrTempest and mathteachertobe like this.