Standardized Testing in September

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Aug 13, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

My students take their standardized tests in September. In order to best prepare them, I wanted to know what reading skills I should tackle right now. We will start on a regular schedule tomorrow and I was planning on starting off with literary elements. Another colleague of mine told me I should start off with other reading skills. Any ideas on what I should start off with? I want to use as much of my time to truly prepare them, especially those coming in from an ESOL class.

What would you do? Thanks in advance!

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

Are you sure they are being tested on the material for the grade they're in? My kids test in November, but they take the 3rd grade test, rather than the 4th grade. So they are really being tested on material they already learned.

Taking a test for the grade they're IN in Sept seems strange...

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

It is a sixth grade test, however, most of the questions are from the prior year in social studies and science. However, I still need to help guide them to increase their scores. During the summer, I doubt they use the skills their taught.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Does your state publish a breakdown of the skills tested so that you can see where your best time would be spent.

If the testing has to do with science and social studies, I would find some articles or short pieces on those topics and use them to teach reading skills.

6. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

Standardized Test = Mediocre BS for Politicians and Gold Bags for Their Test-Making Friends