Standardized Test Warm and Fuzzies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jmpteaches, Oct 1, 2007.

1. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

I teach third grade in Ohio where we have to give the standardized Ohio Achievement Tests in Reading (twice and year) and Math (once a year). I like to do something to cheer my kids up on the day of the test, so this year I am making Warm and Fuzzies out of craft pom-poms and googly eyes. I am wondering if anyone else has done anything like this and if you have any kind of cutesy saying or poem to go with it. The only things I have come up with so far are: "A Warm and Fuzzy especially for student's name!" "Have a Warm and Fuzzy Day!" or "Think Warm and Fuzzy thoughts!" I'm not thrilled with any of these sayings. Any ideas?!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2007

The OAT-R? Good grief: is there no limit to the outrageous acronyms that departments of education and test companies inflict on tests and programs?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 1, 2007

I think the warm fuzzies are a cute idea. I like all your ideas... maybe "Think Warm and Fuzzy Thoughts" is best, since negative thinking can really affect a test.

5. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I suppose it's better than the alphabet soup of special ed acronyms.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 2, 2007

What a nice thing for you to do for your students. Do you do this every year? By the way, I like the "Think warm and fuzzy thoughts" too. Seems to make the most sense in this situation.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2007

(with a great show of grumpiness)

I suppose...

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2007

Um... do we really want their thinking, at testing time, to be FUZZY??

(TeacherGroupie ducks in anticipation of several volleys of rotten tomatoes)

9. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

This is the first year I made Warm and Fuzzies. We give the reading test twice each year and math once. So in May when we give two standardized tests in one week it is the worst. So last year I just started it for the first time in the spring. I got the idea of giving them something like this when I saw an articles in a magazine (I think Family magazine) where a teacher sent home strips of paper for the parent to write a note on, send back to school in an envelope so the child can't read it, and the teacher put the message out on the day of the test with a Warm and Fuzzy. Last spring when I did this I got all but just a few parents who didn't send notes back in, so I wrote those students a personal message from me. They were very small slips of paper so the parent only needed to write about a sentence. I looked for the pre-made warm and fuzzies last year and couldn't find them. Since it was too close to the test to make them, I put Hershey's Hugs out one day that said "Hugs for Good Luck" with their parent note as well. On the next test date, I put out a pack of Smarties with something like "For a Smartie" and their other parent note. I almost think the kids liked reading the parent notes more than getting the little surprises, but I didn't want to do the notes twice in the same year. I think I will do the same thing in the spring again this year when we have to do the two tests.

10. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I decided just to go with "A Warm and Fuzzy especially for ____!" Hopefully they will just feel warm and fuzzy, not have fuzzy thinking! ;)