Stampin' Up

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jan 7, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2011

Anyone use Stampin' Up Products? I have been doing a card making class with a Stampin' Up demonstrator and now I am also joining her "club." If I buy something at the card making class, I get the class half price, and then we have to buy at the club each month and take turns being the hostess, so one month I will get a bunch of freebies! My problems is there is too much stuff I want and I can't decide what to order first!

Who uses their stuff and what are your favorites? Any stamp sets you get a lot of use out of?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2011

I love Stampin' Up products! They are quality pieces. Everything colour coordinates, which makes getting started really easy. What products were you immediately drawn to? It's hard to recommend stamp sets or products without knowing your "style". I don't have tons of sets, I just tried to cover the basics, so I have 1 birthday set, 1 Christmas set, 1 word set and a couple of flower sets for thank you, weddings, baby, etc.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 7, 2011

I love Stampin Up!! I have bins and bins of products that I haven't used in years. I had so much fun stamping and was starting to do advanced stuff like embossing, using beads, watercolors, etc. One thing to keep in mind about Stampin Up stamps is that the rubber part is separate from the wood block part, so you have to assemble them yourself. Not hard to do, but you just have to be careful.
    I love the stained glass stamps. I haven't tried it yet but there is a process where you stamp on a piece of paper and photocopy it on transparency film. Then you fill in the pieces with stamping glitter, so when you are done, it looks like a sparkling glass masterpiece!
    I try to avoid the large stamps that are used for backgrounds. They never stamp easily.

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 7, 2011

I like Stampin' Up, but lots of their stuff is just too pricey. It IS high quality, but for what I use it for, the more inexpensive stuff is OK. That said, I love their punches because they have unique punches that stores just do not carry.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2011

Yes, I have the owl one, and I am ordering the cupcake one next week. I really like the punches too.

I am more of a scrapbooker than a card maker, although I like making cards sometimes, too. So I am trying to get things that I would use for both.

For the club I am in, I have to buy $15 every month and then one month I get all the hostess benefits, so that's when I get all my freebies. But I also spend at least $10 each month so that I get a discount on the class. So by the end of the year, I will have A LOT.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 7, 2011

I like them because they donate their old stuff to schools in my area. This year we got a ton of stamps, pens, tools, and cardstock. Love their pens and the colors of their cardstock are unique.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 8, 2011

Oh I would love that!!!!

I started as a scrapbooker, too. Now I make cards and scrapbook. Their products last forever. The best thing about their punches is that they match up with stamp sets, so you don't always have to cut the shape out!!

One way I decide which stamp sets to buy is I look at what other people are making. So, in this club that you're a part of, I'm sure the hostess has sample cards. As well, sometimes at parties you make a card. If I can see how a stamp set is used and get some ideas, I am more likely to buy the set. I'm not good at just creating a card.

I also use the site www.splitcoaststampers.com for ideas. They have a stampin' up gallery which is organized by stamp set. You can see cards that people have made with each specific stamp set.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 8, 2011

I would also take a look at some samples before you buy anything. When I was stamping I was always stumped for ideas. I love seeing what other people do. I think I'm going to take an inventory of what I have and make a supply run to Michaels. I need all new stamp pads, markers, embossing powder and paper. Stamping was so fun for me and I want to get back into it.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2011

I just spent like an hour on that site. THANK YOU! It really helped because I could look at the sets I was considering. Some had thousands of ideas and one had only 4. I don't think I will order that one anytime soon! It made me realize which ones I would probably use the most.