Stamina

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Sep 12, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 12, 2010

How do you teach this?

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2010

You don't.

The develop it over time. I can say that the two demographics who fall asleep in class the most are high school seniors and first graders the first month of school.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

In regards to the Daily 5, we model, then practice. So when I started it a few years ago. I laid it out like the sisters do in their book. We talked about how you couldn't go run 100 laps around the school today, but if you do a little bit more each day, maybe by the end of the year you could. I said that we would be doing the same thing with reading. So first day was like 2 minutes, then 3, then 4, and so on. I use a timer.

With my class now, I go up in larger increments because they have done the D5 before in K and 1. I do the same thing with writing. I do the same thing when we begin reading rotations and math rotations. My groups start out at about 10-15 minutes, and after a few days we go up to 20 (once they are familiar with the routine). Starting out with small amounts of time and building is always the best way to go!

5. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Sep 12, 2010

I teach 5th but we are starting the Daily 5 and started with 3 minutes as well. The best thing I have learned is pull them all back as soon as one is not following directions. They learn really quickly that it is their actions that is making the whole class stop. I have found that my kids LOVE Read to Self, they rarely get the chance to read quietly for extended amounts of time. So. they really get annoyed when they are pulled back and not given the full amount of time to read :)

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 12, 2010

Should you start building stamina when you know what reading level they are on? We have only been in school a week so I do not know their levels yet.

7. MJH

MJH Companion

Sep 12, 2010

VANewie

Teach the 3 ways to read a book.
    1. Read the pictures.
    2. Read the words.
    3. Retell

Have the students choose about 10 books to keep in their book box to read. I have mine change theirs out weekly. They may not be able to read the words but they can read the pictures. Now they have books to help them build stamina. Once you find out their reading level then you can make sure that they have some books of their choice and some books on their level. I've told mine that they may choose any 5 books that they want and then another 5 books on their reading level.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 12, 2010

Thanks soooo much!!!
    This really really helps me. Now I'm excited for next week.