Stained dry erase boards?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Mommyserenity, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

I am trying to get my room in order and the teacher from last year left all sorts of stuff written on the dry erase boards. It seems it has now stained the board. I scrubbed them down with a Magic eraser to try to take off the writing. I did get it off, but the boards are now stained and the old writing is clearly visible, esp. the red. Anyone know of anything to take this off so I don't have the written stuff stained into the boards all year? :dunno:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Sometimes this method works: Write over the old writing with new dry erase markings and then try erasing again.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

Use the cleaner called "Comet" - scratchy, nasty stuff but it sure makes the board clean :). Don't do it too often though as I think it can break down the coating on the board or something.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

I've used nail polish remover and Goof Off/ Goo Gone (the kind that's like lighter fluid).

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

That does work....though using a magic eraser could have very well taken the coating off...If writing and erasing doesnt work then get back to us

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

The stuff in the expo cleaner works pretty well. The writing over it method has been successful for me as well.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

This is why I never use the red markers. They will stain after even a day. My friend loves the red and green, I like blue and black. So we get the assorted boxes and trade them out. I don't know how she gets the red off.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2010

My first classroom had showerboard instead of true white boards. I had ($&@#$ getting/keeping it clean! Toward the end of the year, someone told me to use the magic erasers, which work great for erasing them. Then someone else told me to try Old English Lemon Oil (in small quantities) on the board - it "revives" the board. It worked pretty well!

10. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

My board was REALLY crappy last year, and I finally figured out the secret to keeping it clean.

First, NEVER use the low odor Expo markers. I did a very scientific experiment during lunch one day involving regular and low odor markers and even on a freshly cleaned board, the low odors smear and stain, while the regulars wipe clean. This sucks because low odor is just about all you can find anywhere.

I would clean my board with the Expo spray or wipes. I found that the wipes actually cleaned the old marker off better than the spray, but it was probably a more expensive method.

Then, I would spray the board with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off. This seemed to "treat" the board and make it like brand new again. Some teachers in my school ONLY used alcohol, but I liked to get the color off first and then use the alcohol. If there's any marker dust remaining, the alcohol will smear it around and make you crazy.

If you use the alcohol, make sure you only do small sections of the board at a time since it evaporates so quickly.

Once I figured out not to use low odor markers, I didn't have to "treat" my board nearly as often.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

I did try using the Expo cleaner and it did nothing. The boards were really in bad shape. I really think the old teacher simply walked out and shut the door her last day....the room has been really left in gross condition! Yuck!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be trying them out!

12. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Once, I accidentally used Clorox wipes on my board (they come in a very similar container to the Expo wipes) and boy...did I regret that. It seemed like it stripped the shiny stuff off my board and made everything smear and stain. Rubbing alcohol fixed it in the end, though.

13. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Too true with the red.

Sometimes I find the green stains as well and a few students have commented they have trouble seeing it.

I like purple and blue but I usually write our math meeting board in plain black and leave the colors for the kids.

I've always had success with the write on, wipe off method. It also works if permanent marker gets on the boards. I also try to keep my meeting board cleaned daily with a wet-wipe as it's really just posterboard material.

This year I asked for a clean sock on the supply list so the kids can use this on our individual dry-erase boards.

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

I do know that Magic Erasers will take off permanent maker off the dry erase boards : ) Found that out last year when a child accidentally wrote on the board with one in a co workers room and she came to ask for suggestions!

15. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I heard that dryer sheets work.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

You guys have all sorts of ideas! :thumb:

I am telling you...the person who left was either really messy or just didn't care! I had to clean out all of her personal items from her desk....and it included used toothbrushes! GROSS :mad:

17. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

:eek: That is absolutley atrocious!!!! I can't imagine leaving a classroom for someone like that! Sure there's going to be the odd things to reclean once you move in but what you're dealing with is over the top! :sorry:

18. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions for scratches on your whiteboard? Over the years, somehow my portable whiteboard from lakeshore has been scratched up like crazy... this makes it difficult to keep clean. Is there anything that would work well to "fill" the scratches?

19. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I had a sub use permanent markers on my board. Another teacher let me borrow her graffiti remover cleaner. It worked like magic! No clue where to get it from though.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Lestoil.

21. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

Lowes & Home Depot carry it (by the paint thinner).

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

If it is showerboard (like mine are) instead of a real whiteboard, the best thing you can do it to just get it replaced. We have tried everything on my board but it is permanently stained. I am replacing mine and not writing on it much. I will use my projector and project from my computer.

23. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Feb 21, 2011

Dry erase marker over a permanent marker will allow you to erase that. No need for special removers.

Anyone that uses anything but the expo solution, water, or alcohol is removing the finish.

My boards worked great all year until a student tried to be helpful and grabbed the disinfectant bottle and cleaned them. The finish came right off and they havent worked since. I was told to clean with water, then alcohol and then do small circles with a magic eraser to put a new polish on. I am currently watching my board dry to see if it works.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

Lestoil

25. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Feb 21, 2011

I have found that using Germ-X works really well on expo and Visa markers

26. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2011

Nail polish remover works well for me.

27. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 23, 2011

I use vinegar to get my stains out. Smelly but effective. If that does not work I use very diluted bleech.

28. flexmb

flexmb Rookie

Nov 27, 2012

Here is instructions for cleaning and maintaining a dry erase board found on a manufacturers website - hope this helps.

Using a clean, dry cloth and a non-abrasive liquid cleanser (Window or generic glass cleaner), gently clean the entire board to loosen any residue from the board. Then use a dry cloth to wipe clean the entire surface to remove all dirt and residue from the previous step. Next, using clean water, rinse the entire board and then with a dry towel wipe the entire board dry. The rinsing and drying steps are extremely important and if ignored may cause underperformance of the product. Porcelain whiteboards are much like glass and can be maintained in a similar fashion. whiteboards can be cleaned as often as required and will not be damaged as long as the proper cleaning methods are used. Here are a few tips to keep your board in optimal condition. We recommend only cleaners that have been tested to work on our dry erase products such as our #683 board cleaner, Expo whiteboard cleaner, or Windex (or generic glass cleaner). TEMP or isopropyl alcohol may be used to remove stubborn build-up caused by repeated use (recommended to use moderately).Please note that cleaners that are not recommended may leave a residual film that may cause the whiteboard not to function properly and result in customer dissatisfaction and may also void the warranty of the product. All dry erase markers will write legibly on our board but may not erase properly due to their composition. We recommend the use of our markers, Expo brand markers, or a similar solvent-based marker. If you use your board daily, we recommend that you clean the surface at least twice per week. In addition, it is important to know that leaving ink on the board for an extended period of time can lead to "ghosting". We recommend that you erase your whiteboard on a regular basis. If this is not possible, it may be necessary to clean your board following the steps outlined above to return the surface to its original condition. If someone accidently uses a permanent marker on a porcelain dry erase board, all is not lost. One trick would be to write over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker and then erase it. Generally, rubbing alcohol also works to remove permanent marker from a dry erase whiteboard.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2012

Hand santizer.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2012

Ditto. I buy it at the dollar store.

31. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2013

Windex works great. My board had worked fine for years and the summer before last some one cleaned it so it started holding markings. I cleaned it with Windex really thoroughly and I have not had a problem since. Otherwise I use dry erase markers to remove permanent marker if it gets on the board and expo wipes most of the time. The hardest ink to remove is the ink from the overhead markers it just smears and takes serious repeated scrubbing.