Staggered entry?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

As it stands now, I have home visits for a week and then the next week my students come in staggered. It will probably be 4 on Monday, 8 on Tues., 12 on Wed., 16 on Thurs and Fri, with each day adding 4 more kids until Thurs., when we're all there. I feel like I will be going over my rules and procedures over and over again (which I kind of expect with 4-year-olds, but still). Is there a way to have the ones who have been there longest help me out? Maybe assigning buddies so that those who start at the beginning help those starting Wed.-Thurs.? Also, would you just plan to read the same book or two all week and do the same art project or two all week? I need your help! :hugs:

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Why does your preschool stagger the start dates like that? It doesn't seem fair to the ones who have to wait until Thursday and then to have to start with 12 others who already know what they are doing. It also seems difficult for you the teacher.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

I wondered the same thing. I don't see any advantage to it.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

We used to do it, all of our old kids would start the first day, then we'd add 2 -3 a day until we were at 20. It allows you to spend extra time to the kids who are sad, teary etc. We just did mostly free play & meals on these days as usually teachers were busy screening new kids, filling out forms (we had 4 adults).

We also used to get the first week of school and the last week of school to clean/ pack with no students.

Then apparently one of the higher ups walked into a classroom and a teacher was sitting with her feet on the desk reading a magazine, saying she had nothing to do and they suddenly decided that the big "Everyone attends on the first day" (a whole issue with 8 % of the district not showing up the first day of school) and we lost the staggering in process AND our weeks of set up and clean up. So it goes.

Your situation seems to be different because it doesn't seem to be returners come first etc. I'd make the days different. The kids that come on Tuesday may be bored by Friday if they hear the same book everyday (then again if it's a favorite- they may love it).

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

We do this as well. All returning children start on the first day, and attend the first week. Second week we start two new children per day until everyone is in attendance.

I absolutely love it because the returning children are in the groove, if you will, and it's easier for the new children to pick up on some of the routines. Children always learn more from other children than they do from us, and this is a perfect example. I still need to reinforce the groundrules and provide consistency with them, but this really enables me to spend more time with the new children when they start and make sure they're getting the attention they need on their first day.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

We have a different type of staggered entry. Half the kids come in the first day, and half the kids come in the second day. Then the third day they all come in. I like this way, as it's easier to teach rules and procedures to kids that aren't always used to rules and procedures to a smaller group.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

We do the same as dfleming, but it's a third of the kids at a time, over a 3 day period. I'm a half day program, so I have six sets of staggered days....and we do two groups a day. By that twelfth time of teaching the same routine in the sand table, I am DONE. LOL.

I do think it's a great transition for the kiddos, though.
    Kim

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

A couple of you asked why they did it this way. Well, I'm not really sure, but it's what I've been told will happen, lol. My class is a brand-new pre-k housed in an elementary school, and this is the way the kindergarten classes have done it, so this is the way we'll do it. (At least this year, maybe by next year I can convince them differently.)

I was told for the majority (or maybe all) of my students, this is their first school experience, so I expect some teariness, clingliness, etc. It's also a full day (8-3) program, so there's that. Having small groups will help some, but I've never had a staggered group like this. I'm planning a lot of fun but simple activities for this week--free painting, coloring with crayons, reading repetitive books like Eric Carle, hands-on circle activities, etc. Anybody have some creative ideas I could use?

10. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I actually posted elsewhere for some ideas, but here's what I plan to go heavy on so far: playdough, lots of manips and toys, lots of board books in small groups, stuffed animals available, and I'm doing a venn diagram comparing 2 students to each other. It will be done 2 children at a time, so I hope my aide is good! They will get to know each other, and I will have something to talk about at circle time every day.