Staff kids

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tasha, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

We have 5 or 6 children or grandchildren of staff members starting kindergarten this year. I know at least one requested to be in my class (they always ask parents whose class they want their child in) and there may be more after we get the last of the enrollment papers on Monday. I am fine with it, but another teacher mentioned that she'd prefer not to have staff children because they are constantly evaluating you and if there are problems you have to keep working with that person. How do you feel about having staff member's children in your class?

P.S. Last year the superintendents' granddaughter started kindergarten and she was supposed to come to my school. She ended up going to a different school because they started a dual language immersion program and they wanted her to be in that program. That would have made me a little nervous :cool:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

Tasha,
    I sat here and counted -- I've had 11 staff members' children over the years. Six were fine -- no problems. Four were fabulous -- a dream to have -- did extra things and were so helpful. One was a nightmare -- a total nightmare.

So overall, I've had great experiences. One word of advise -- don't get in the habit of talking to the staff member about the child "in the halls" or at the bus line, etc. If they want to talk, have them schedule a conference just like anyone else.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2009

I get a lot of PTO officers and school board members' kids in my room by their request. I do my job. I do it well. I can speak confidently and with conviction about what we do as professional educators. I don't worry about 'being evaluated' because I'm going above and beyond for the kids in my class and the parents know and appreciate it. I had a big bully problem in my room last year and because of my reputation and because of the way I handled things, nothing but appreciation was sent my way as a result, even though one of the 'big whig's' kids was smack dab in the middle of the turmoil...I keep parents 'in the loop' as far as what's going on in the classroom, how their kids are doing, their academic and social/emotional well-being.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

We'll have a few next year and there's a chance I'll get one. I'm not too worried about this one. I'm more worried about another parent-who likes to come to school for the entire day, every day.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I had the superintendant's granddaughter in my class a couple of years ago. I was really nervous about it but I kept thinking there was a reason they wanted her in my class. It turned out great - I told the mom I was nervous and we agreed she wouldn't tell her mom my "secrets" if I wouldn't tell her mom her "secrets."

When my kids have been in my school people had a tendency to tattle on them because I was there, so think about it before you say something - would you really tell a regular parent? Just separate teacher-teacher discussions from teacher-parent discussions and relax. If they didn't believe in you their child wouldn't be there.

I have had many staff member's children at this point and have found it actually enhanced our relationships and my reputation so it worked out but early in my career it made me nervous. Just treat all the children the same so other parents don't think the child is getting preferential treatment.

When I worked on my oldest's high school campus, he parked within sight of my classroom so I could see when he was late, etc. He hadn't thought about it and kept thinking someone was spying or tattling on him! He left campus one day to buy lunch (closed campus) and was caught returning. The v.p. brought him to my room and said he would let me take care of it because anything I would do would be worse than he would do - he was right - bye, bye car for the rest of the year!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

I am not worried about it and it isn't my first staff member's child, I was just really surprised by this other teacher's comment. She is a great teacher and I really admire the way she has handled difficult parents in the past. I know she knows a lot about my class and chose it for a reason, so I am glad she knows what to expect.

8. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 16, 2009

One of the 9th grade teachers looked at my class roster of 10th graders and singled out one of my students in particular:

Him: "See this girl here?"
    Me: "Yeah?"
    Him: "Make sure you're at the top of your game for her class."
    Me: "Okay. Any special issues I should know about?"
    Him: "No. She's a great kid. Bright. Works hard. Only, um, you know Asst. Principal X, your immediate supervisor?"
    Me: "Yes?"
    Him: "That's her daughter."
    Me "Ah. I see! Thank you!"
    Him: "No problem!"

G-minus 11 hours, 5 minutes

MathManTim

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I enjoy having the children of other teachers. I am humbled and flattered. I think they make great "parents," too. They completely understand what happens in the classroom.

10. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I had one last year and not only was it a staff member's child but she is also a good friend. The problem is that he wasn't used to having to study and he really didn't care about school. It was difficult but I treated her like any parent and would schedule meetings about things with her before or after school when I would other parents.

I did sugar coat things sometime a little more then normal but the good thing was she noticed his lack luster desire to study and do well. The best part was she knew that when he tried the whole she didn't tell us these things that it wasn't the case and that there should be notes.

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

I taught four staff kids last year - it was great! I expect another one this fall, that'll take me to four again, since one moved on to high school, and another is coming up.

I find teachers kids who AREN'T staff members are harder to deal with. I had two last year and will have two again this year. One is a great kid, but mom does EVERYTHING for her. The other... well I won't even go into his situation, because its going to be nothing but trouble for me.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I'm on the opposite end of this situation...I have 3 kids who also attend the school where I teach. I have to say - I go out of my way to not be "one of those" parents. I generally don't complain. I am also allowed to request teachers for my kids and I request those that I feel I can have a good relationship with, both a personal relationship and a professional one.
    Kim

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

I have three this coming year- guidance counselor's daughter, assistant principal's son, and third grade remediation teacher's granddaughter. I've had many- my first a.p.'s daughter, a second grade teacher's nephew, a second grade teacher's daughter, a sub's son, a front office secretary's son, and a third grade teacher's daughter. I've had a few in my high reading and math classes as well (before I had advanced). I like how they can help out at times when you need it, and communication is also easy, considering the family member is right at school.

I never feel like I am being spied on, or there's a great deal of pressure. It's fine with me. As Czacza stated, I do my job and I do it well. I maintain an outstanding reputation.

14. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I had the PTO president's son in my class last year (My first year) and I have no clue how that happened...:lol:It worked out great. This year I have two staff kids.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

This would be a new thread altogether, but you will need to nip that in the bud immediately. Does that parent want to spend the day in your room? If so, you now have a new rule about volunteers. Parents of children in your class are welcome to volunteer at the school...just not in your room.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 17, 2009

I will have 3 this year too! The 1st time I ever had one, I too, was a little nervous - but really I think that staff parent read the newsletters, etc. less than my other parents did. I'm become kind of known for my reputation of not babying staff kids (they are spoiled by some teachers). I'm not harder on them than the other kids, but hold them to the same standard, which most parents like.

The only thing that makes me nervous now is the Open House or parent meetings - I don't mind talking to parents, but it's weird when it's colleagues-I get more nervous!

17. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I have had the same experience. I finally had to ask one or two people if they would have normally talked to a parent about it. That stopped most of it. Usually it was not really them "tattling" on my kids, they were just trying to make conversation and something would come out like "_________ had to sit in time out today because she knocked over someone's blocks." It had already been dealt with in class, but I always felt like once I had been told about it, I needed to address it at home too.

I do always appreciate the "your child said the cutest thing today" stories that I get though. I do feel I get to hear more of those as well because my kids are in my building. I love passing someone in the hallway and hearing "your daughter is so cute!" So it goes both ways I guess. Just make sure you address the positive as well as the negative.

My oldest is going to middle school this year. It will be the first time she won't be in my building.:unsure: Her teachers mostly won't even know she is a teacher's kid.

18. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

My experiences echo most of those above. I taught in a very small Christian school that was like family. My two kids were there and most of the other teachers had kids there as well. I found for the most part that yes, teachers make great parents to deal with because they get it! I had one who was a pain in the beginning, but mostly because when I had her son, I was taking over for another teacher who was pregnant. I really like this teacher, but the mom-teacher didn't respect her for whatever reason and would come in and comment on how we had the room set up, who we had sitting together, etc. I just replied calmly but firmly, in essence letting her know that they weren't her students anymore (she had them the year before), and I had it covered. She quit, and we still Facebook eachother several years later. I found that as long as I did my job well, they respected me, I respected them, and we did fine. I also agree that you should try to avoid talking at length about teachers' kids with them during school--my own kids said they hated it when I knew things before they told me!

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I've only had one problem child and he wasn't really a staff member's child. He was the PTA president's child. Major, major issues with lying and bullying. Mom absolutely did not believe me and tried hard to throw my reputation into the mud.

Didn't work, though. Like the other posters said, do your job well and other educators will want you to teach their child, grandchild.

The major thing I"ve noticed is that the other teachers are working hard and don't really want to have to play mommy or daddy during the work day. So I don't bother them about anything.

The kids also aren't allowed to run and get parent signatures or forgotten homework.

20. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Congrats to you all!!! Because every staff kid I have encountered is a MENACE!!! and that is the nice word for them.
    2 were brothers. The older one and the younger were in classes next to me and I never had them and thanked the heavens everyday. The older one would throw shoes so we would take them away, he was hitting kids. the mother yelled.
    The younger one had his turn in K this year. WOW is all I will say. He called his teacher a fat... you get it. Then the cousin was in K also and I refused to teach him after experiencing him from afar in pre-k last year and the mother screaming at me in the hallway. He has a host of issues which no one wants to accept.
    I really am happy you ladies have had positive experiences, but after these three boys, I could see why your co-worker may not want to take an employee child

21. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I am a staff member with children in my colleagues classes. My daughter has not been a problem with any of her teachers. Last year my son was another story. He and his teachers put me into tough spots last year to the point where I had a meeting with all of them, the principal, the counselor, and a union rep (the other teachers requested it). After this, I definately second asking yourself, "Would I call another parent for ____." If it is, then talk to them privately. The problem I encountered the most was the expecatation that because my son is a teacher's kid he should act better than everyone else all the time.

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I had a staff member's child for two years...I looped. Luckily he was a straight A student but toward the end of last school year, the hormones hit and he started misbehaving and getting girl crazy. Glad I don't have him again this year.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2009

I have had PTA members' children, also... but no major issues, ever.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I've taught lots of the kids of people I work with, and it has never once been a problem.

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I have worked with... 2 children of principals...and HATED both!

As a music teacher... you never get RID of kids..they just get older. (for the good kids/most kids...it's a blessing. For the bad kids.. it'll turn your hair grey!) These two WORKED their connections...and ALWAYS smirked at their teachers (others as well), as if to say... "I am my father/mother's eyes and ears - you better not mess up."

Nerve-racking? It was TERRIBLE!

Years later... I was interviewing for a maternity leave. the teacher said.. "I see that you used to work at St. ___'s." (yes. I did. Do you know of the school?) "yes, through a close, close college friend of mine. Tim ____. his mom was the principal there for a while." (yes. I remember Tim. And his mom was my principal.)

Tim was a PITA, and his mother was HORRIBLE! (If i started in on THEM- this posting would be pages long.)

I could have walked out right then and there. With THAT unwanted referral... I knew I wouldn't get the job.

I've had teachers' kids...and for them... I think it depends on the child's personality. But, oh yes...what you do in class goes home AND around the school like WILDFIRE. The good things...I heard of. The bad things...i never heard of (but i am sure they were there).

The thing that bothers me most of all is... the classmates families of teachers' kids. Because, in that context...parents talk.

26. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Having my children attend the school I taught at was a nightmare, atleast for one of my children and I. A couple of teachers would smile in my face everyday, ask about what's going on in my life, all while my child was not doing well in their classes. I tried not to make an issue and just immediately transferred them out but word got back to the principal. She called me in and I explained how I honestly felt about the situation. I explained that I felt that they had no reason to not tell me about my child's lack of progress, especially since we were encouraged to communicate with parents whenever we saw a problem and not to mention I'm right there in the building.

My husband tends to think other factors played a role as well. I was recently remarried (I was a single mom with two small kids when I came there), relocated to a nice suburban area (from a large urban area), and was driving a newer, more expensive car. All of which can be impressive to some but really don't mean the world to me as I'm a bit conservative. I'm not sure because these women had just as much if not more than I. So that's just his take on it.

However, one teacher in particular was one of the principal's favorites. That's another reason I initially decided to leave it alone. But eventually the word spread around the school and the principal eventually began to have a different attitude towards me which caused me to leave the school. And unfortuantely a school I loved has become a bad memory for me.

A similar situation happened to another teacher at the same school, during the same time, as well. The really sad part is that her child's teacher was her "friend". They would eat lunch together, go out for drinks, etc. UNBELIEVABLE! I didn't feel as bad once I heard her story.

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I haven't had too many, but I had the nephew of a guidance counselor before who failed my class, then somehow skipped summer school and ended up in the next grade next year anyway. Explain that one to me.

I also had the granddaughter of the school psych (who had custody) and THAT was a NIGHTMARE. She was convinced that the kid had x, y, and z wrong with her, but I was convinced that the girl was playing everyone, including her grandma. I got twice as many emails about her as I did from all my other kids COMBINED.

At my new job, I have the secretary's son, and that makes me nervous. I know how they like to talk, AND I feel like that is an important person to be on the good side of.

28. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Good luck, Silverspoon 65!