Staff Gifts for Christmas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

My staff includes about 30 teachers plus approximately 30 support staff members (aides, cafeteria helpers, office ladies, clinicians, etc).

How can I show them that they're appreciated and valued without breaking the bank? Any ideas will be gladly accepted! I want to give everyone some sort of Christmas gift/goody.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2013

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate and breakfast for everyone--either in the staff lounge or delivered to classrooms.

A hand-written card and a small tin of candy.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

I absolutely LOVE the idea of hosting a staff breakfast!!!! I'm sure my principal will split the cost, so it won't be too terribly expensive. I work with a great group of people and I want to show them that they're appreciated!!!

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Nov 23, 2013

I like the idea of the breakfast. But please do more than just put food in teachers lounge and send a general email out to staff. I would be thrilled if my principal either sent me a personal note or email or stopped by to tell me how much he appreciated what I do. That will never happen because my principal talks personally to certain staff members. I have never been told I do a good job. The sped director is the one who does my evaluations and talks to me about my work. She always has great things to say to me.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 23, 2013

One year my AP gave all the teachers a "coupon" where he covered our class for 20 min so we could have a break. He set up a calendar for sign ups, with the understanding that he had to have 24 hour notice, and had to be used before the last two weeks of school. He also blacked out times he knew he wasn't available. It was awesome!

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2013

Love this idea!

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013

When I worked at the middle school, our Admin staff put on a hot big breakfast for us (egg casseroles, bacon and sausage, etc.) every year and served it to us in the library before classes. It was a great tradition.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 23, 2013

My last school did this, only it was a two hour break. You could either come in two hours late or leave two hours early and someone would cover your class.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 23, 2013

Just be sure and do something! Our new principal has done nothing the past two years, and believe me, it has been noticed.

11. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Nov 23, 2013

We just get a generic typed holiday card. In fact, it doesn't even have our name on it. It is just thrown into our mailbox.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

Our favorite thing ever is "the gift of time". Each day over the last two weeks the principals take a whole grade level for the last hour of school and the teachers can leave, it comes out to 2 hours early of the work day once you add on dismissal time and after school prep time. It's really nice to have time to grab last minute gifts or wrap gifts in that crazy time.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

My goodness...I knew I came to the right place.

I'm definitely going with the staff breakfast idea. Additionally, I think I'll give everyone a coupon for a day off from recess duty. They'll love that!

Thanks again, everyone!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

I just wanted to add in:

Based on your posts, I'm sure your staff already knows how very much you appreciate them. You seem to be a wonderful administrator, and I sense that they're lucky to have you.

For something lower budget: each year when our Seniors leave for Disney, those of us who don't go end up covering lots of classes. (We sub internally.) I sometimes buy a big bowl of candy for the faculty room-- to "sweeten up" all those subs.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2013

Lets see... One year, every administrator came around with a school coffee mug stuffed with candy and a holiday card for everyone. I thought it was especially nice that they were hand-delivered.

For breakfast... I agree, don't send an email. I'd go around with a written invitation for everyone. Just to make it feel a little more special :)

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 24, 2013

A personally, handwritten note would be the most appreciated in my school. No form letter, no email, not generic card-personally handwritten. There are many times we wonder if our P and AP even really know us...
    The gift of time would also be appreciated. I love the ideas above of the P or AP covering our class, rather than giving us time with a sub in our class.Again, I am not sure they even understand what we are doing in the classroom. A 45 minute observation is NOT enough!
    On the flip side, YTG, I think it is wonderful that you recognize that your staff is awesome, and that you want to do anything at all!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

My principal comes around and personally gives all staff a card and gift. It's something small but it's nice to be thought of.